forty-nine

Sam's pov

I checked my phone as I got out of the car, after accidentally driving way too fast because of the agitation I was feeling.

Ellie :) : just took a three hour nap, i definitely needed it 
Ellie :) : i hope your meeting goes well, let me know when you're done so we can finally spend some time together
Ellie :) : i don't think i'm gonna do much today anyway

Once again, the level of frustration I was feeling in that moment would have easily led me to drinking a whole bottle of something a few months prior, and I desperately needed to do something that would distract me from that thought.

The healthiest way of doing that was seeing Ellie as soon as possible, her being the only person who could even make me feel better from those situations in the first place. Even if I couldn't tell her what was wrong, not immediately at least.

So I decided to show up on her doorstep.

"Hi baby" I said as she appeared in front of me, already feeling a sense of relief.

"Babe!" she excitedly threw her arms around my shoulders.

I felt like I wanted to protect her from any kind of bad things in life each time she'd act so excited to see me. And if what I did just an hour before would allow me to protect her from whatever Maya would do if I hadn't gone, then I was glad to have done it.

"Thought it'd be quicker to come here than to text you" I laughed at her struggle to reach my height, slightly leaning down to help her.

"Come in" she smiled, the sun coming in from the nearby window making the green of her eyes even more beautiful than usual. "This place is a bit untidy at the moment, didn't have time to clean it up"

"You think I care about the tidiness of your apartment?" I closed the door behind me.

"I was just preventing any related comment" she giggled. "How was your meeting?"

"My wh- Oh, yeah,uhm. It was fine, boring as most meetings" I luckily managed to save myself before saying something I shouldn't have said. I still was feeling quite on edge but I tried to ignore it.

"I'm sure you make every boring meeting interesting to others" she said with a laugh.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I raised a brow.

"People notice how attractive you are for sure" she shrugged. "And I can't say I'm not slightly jealous about it"

"That is not a professional thing to say, baby" I chuckled.

"Well, I can say it" she looked up with an innocent expression, her mouth curved into a hint of something similar to a smirk.

"I guess that's true" I kissed her as I felt all of my accumulated stress slowly decreasing.

In the past few days I'd been starting to feel a stronger need for physical intimacy with Ellie, since we hadn't done more than kissed since I came back from London, and the one time we got close to any of that we were interrupted by her friend. Almost a week had passed and I'd been thinking about it more everyday.

But with everything that happened that day I'd seemed to have forgotten it. Until I found myself kissing her in the middle of her living room, soon after gently pushing her back towards the nearest wall, allowing me to grip her hips more firmly.

I'd only planned to go to Ellie's to be in her company and be comforted by it, after everything that had happened, and maybe even talk to her about it. But I eventually did appreciate the direction she seemed to want to take. We could talk about it all later.