fifty-nine

(a/n: it took me ages to formulate the first sentence of the chapter lmao i hope it makes sense
+ someone asked ellie's and sam's heights and i just wanted to share that in my mind ellie is about 165cm/5'5 and sam is about 180cm/5'11) 

"So, let me get this straight" Mei started to say as we were sitting around Sarah's table with her, who'd invited us for dinner, and Maya. "You're dating the person who happens to be our professor at university, but also one of your co-worker's, who's my girlfriend's, your other co-worker, best friend, ex girlfriend?"

"It sounds absurd if you put it that way" I laughed. "But yes, I guess that's what's happening"

"That's because it is absurd" Sarah intervened. "Not in a bad way" she added, seeing my disapproving face.

"Kind of" Mei chuckled. "Out of all the thing I thought could happen during my first year, this wasn't in my list"

"I think Ellie can relate to that even more than you" the blonde joked, causing me to probably turn bright red. "Sorry, isn't it true?" she laughed, elbowing me.

"I guess so" I shook my head, confirming my suspicion that telling Mei about everything would inevitably lead to the two continuously joking about it.

Even though she probably already imagined that too, I wasn't sure on how Maya would take it all. I briefly glanced at her to make sure she was okay, her response being a quick nod. I didn't even know why I cared about how she felt about it in the first place, because I probably wasn't supposed to. But it was just in my nature to worry about others.

I'd been terrified that the situation would create an awkward atmosphere between the four of us, more awkward than it already was. But it seemed like we were all dealing well with it.

"I'm sorry to be that person, but can I finally joke about how much that woman has a type?" Sarah added.

"That's what I told Ellie yesterday! I swear she does" Mei laughed.

"Oh my god..." I buried my face in my hands for a few seconds, looking up to see Maya looking as if she was trying really hard not to laugh. "We do not look alike"

"I mean..." she shrugged with a chuckle. "I was ginger for a long time, you know"

"Okay, whatever" I disapproved, trying not to show I also kind of wanted to laugh.

"Come on El, don't get offended. Plus, we're just talking about physical appearance here 'cause you're two completely different people. She likes a rollercoaster apparently" Mei added, as if it'd make things better.

"Or maybe she's the roller-coaster, judging from what I know about her" her girlfriend played along.

"You're making me really curious to know more about her now" my friend snickered.

"I think I'm the one who knows the least about her between the three of us" the two just went on laughing.

"Stop, you're making El uncomfortable. And me too, slightly" Maya intervened, and I guessed she'd somehow noticed I was really trying to contain myself. "Let's not make this thing her whole personality, yeah? You can perfectly act like you did before knowing, it's not the only thing she's capable of talking about"

"We were just joking around..." Sarah shook her head.

"I know, but I'm not sure she needs you joking around her private life" Maya shrugged. "Sorry if I'm speaking for you" she added, facing me.

"It's okay" I reassured her. "What you said is true"

"Fine, sorry El" Mei said, looking like she genuinely meant it.