thirty-seven

"So, what's going on? I've been hearing less of you everyday and your mind always seems to be miles away" Mei asked as I handed her a coffee I'd just made for her. My shift was in the morning because our classes were all during the afternoon that day.

While I always assumed that she'd come to the shop only when Sarah was there, the fact that my shift that day was with Maya made me realize that maybe she was actually concerned about me.

What she said wasn't totally wrong, but the only reason I might have appeared that way was because my mind had been constantly occupied by Sam in those days. After telling each other the three words for the first time, something between us changed, or better intensified.

Everything reminded me of her and I just wanted to be with her constantly. I was genuinely the happiest I'd been in a very long time.

But for very different reasons I couldn't say that in front of the two people in the room with me in that moment. For a few seconds I even feared that Maya would say something she absolutely shouldn't have said.

"Uh, I don't know, I'm fine. Really" I reassured Mei. "I'm in a better mood than usual if anything. I guess the first signs of spring in the air are affecting me"

"Hmm" she sipped her coffee. "You sure? Something in you seems off. I miss spending time with you"

"We can have lunch together later if you want" I said, realizing how much long had actually passed since the last time the two of us hung out alone.

"Of course I do. Sounds great" she smiled.

"I'll text you when I'm done then"

"Perfect" she gave me a thumbs up. "Also, the both of you keep ignoring mine and Sarah's invite to have another night out together. Don't think I haven't noticed"

"If you promise you won't end up grinding on each other in front of everyone again, then I might accept" Maya said, keeping her back turned to us.

"I promise we won't" Mei laughed. "You can't say no now, Ellie"

"Fine, I'll come" I sighed, being too panicked to think of another valid excuse now that my other one, not wanting to third-wheel, didn't make sense anymore.

I hoped I hadn't gotten myself into anything too messy. I probably had though. Anything that involved me and Maya together probably could have been considered messy.

"That's what I like to hear! We can talk about it later. I'll wait for your text, then" Mei said.

"Yeah, sure. See you later" I forced a smile as my friend hugged me and headed out. One thing about Mei was that she was an amazing hugger.

I then let out a groan of frustration, forgetting people could actually see and hear me for a second.

"Don't you feel bad?" Maya suddenly asked, bringing me back to reality.

"About what?"

"Completely lying to a close friend. I could never. And also about acting so despaired because you're gonna have to spend an evening with me" she turned around.

"That's not- Whatever. I'm not lying to her. I mean, yeah, but not in a way that would hurt her"

"You sure about that?"

"Of course" I furrowed a brow.

"I don't know, Ellie. She's gonna find out sometime. But I guess that lying must be a matched personality trait between you and your- my- fuck. Her"

"Just say her name" I laughed. If she was going to keep on with the put-downs I may have as well played along.

"Anyway" she just went on. "At the end of the day you should do what you feel is best. Just some advice"