ninety (EPILOGUE)

4 years later

"What exactly are we here to celebrate?" Lauren asked, placing a bag on the guest room's bed.

"Sam's birthday was a week ago, she was just named head of the English department, I got an incredible job promotion and it's about to be our three year wedding anniversary, your son turned 3 years old two weeks ago, Vic got a freaking doctorate degree and Mei wrote a book that's being published by a major publishing company. And also, we just wanted to have everyone over before summer's over and we all go back to our busy lives. Is that enough?" I said, suddenly feeling positively overwhelmed by saying all of that out loud.

"Okay, fair enough" she nodded after a pause. "Being on a six hour flight with a three year old is very exhausting, but I'm happy to be here. They'll be here any minute now, Harry just fell asleep in the taxi and he starts having a tantrum if you're not careful with waking him up"

"Oh, I can imagine" I said with a laugh, having had to deal with a fair share of baby crying outbursts in the past year and a half. "We're really happy you're here too. I guess Vic and Mei will also be here in a while. Sam's friends from London too, you know, Charlotte and the others"

"That's great, we haven't seen each other in a while. Where are Sam and little Liv? I'm honestly here just to see her"

"Very nice of you, Laur" I joked. "She's in the bedroom, hang on" I added, walking through the corridor that led to our bedroom.

"Sam? Your sister's here" I cautiously said, entering the room to see my wife lying next to our beautiful daughter, who was fast asleep. Even if it'd been almost two years, I sometimes still couldn't believe we were building our own family and raising the most perfect little girl.

All of Sam's pregnancy had been a long and not easy process, but we both agreed all the suffering had been more than worth it. We'd been living the most magical period of our lives ever since it all started, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else.

"Be right there" Sam whispered, gently kissing the top of Olivia's head and slowly getting up from the bed. "I knew her not wanting to sleep yesterday would lead to her being still asleep late in the morning" she said as she half-closed the door.

"It's okay, she's probably tired" I said, giving her a quick kiss right before we walked back to the living room.

Before we could say anything, a light-haired toddler ran to us and hugged us. Or hugged our legs, really.

"Aunt Sam! Aunt Ellie!" he enthusiastically said as we bent down to be on his level.

"Hi Harry darling" Sam said with a chuckle, hugging him back. "Hello you two" she added, looking at Lauren and Andrew, her boyfriend.

"Hi! Sorry for having a little boy assault your legs, come here Harry" she laughed.

"Hi! It's nice to see you again!" the tall, blonde guy said as their son walked back to them.

"Likewise" I said with a smile. "Was your flight okay?"

"All good" Lauren nodded. "How was being in a plane, Harry?" she asked, looking down at the boy.

"So scary! But only at first, actually. Do you know I saw the ocean from up in the sky, Aunt Ellie?"

"Wow, that's so cool!" I said as I couldn't help but lightly laugh at how cute his enthusiasm was.

"Yes! Mommy and daddy told me I was gonna see my little cousin, is she here?"

"She is darling, but she's sleeping right now. You'll definitely see her later" Sam said, and I could tell she was smiling at his cuteness too.