sixteen

We only had two weeks of lessons before a five-day Thanksgiving break. I was going to go home to my family, which I didn't find particularly exciting. I was glad to be able to spend time in my hometown and to finally see Vic.

But I really hadn’t been missing my family that much, as much as insensitive that sounds. I don’t think I realized how badly, my parents especially, they affected my mental health.

I thought it was normal to feel somehow trapped in your own home, but it turned out it wasn’t.

My mom called me every other day, and I tried to keep it as short as possible each time. My dad, well, he didn’t really care. He always seemed to be uninterested in anything if not his job, football and passively following my mom’s orders and desires.

Sam was also going back home for a few days, to England.

“Have you been missing your family back home?” she asked me one day as she was lying next to me on her bed.

We hadn’t hung out like in the park anymore but  I'd been going to her place a lot, and I’d stayed the night a few times. The most that had happened was, intense, let’s say, making out. But that was already way more than enough for me, at the moment.

“I think I’ve told you enough about them for you to imagine my answer to that” I chuckled.

“Okay yeah, you might be right. I hope it doesn’t get too unbearable, but it’s only four days anyway, right?”

“Yeah, luckily. I’m just excited to see my best friend, Vic”

“The one who you most definitely told every single detail of what’s been going on between us to?”

“I did not!” 

“Mhh, I don’t think I believe you on that one” she turned her head to the side, facing mine.

“Well, that’s your problem” I joked.

“Are you gonna tell her about this too?” she asked, moments before pulling my body closer to hers and pressing her lips onto my neck, causing me to shiver all over.

“Probably not” I whimpered, closing my eyes to the blissful feeling. “Please don’t leave a hickey just when I need to see my family, though”

“It’d go away by then. But I won’t, I told you that was a one time accident” she lifted her head, smirking as she moved her lips from my neck to my own lips.

“You never know” I said, gripping her hips. “What about you? Happy to go back home?”

“I really don't  know. I guess so. Haven’t been since last Christmas so I am missing it a bit. My parents love hearing stories about life here in New York and bragging about their genius daughter who at the young age of 30 is a university professor”

“That is quite the accomplishment, though”

“I’m not saying it isn’t. It’s just the way they talk about it. As if me actually getting my shit together compensates for their extremely boring life. And they often do it to make my sister feel like she isn’t doing anything with her life, which I hate.”

“You have a sister? You’d never told me” I said, surprised to gather that piece of information.

“Yeah, I guess it’s just never come out in a conversation. She’s called Lauren and she’s 22. Or 23. I can never remember” 

“That’s cool. You must be happy you get to see her, at least”

“Oh, of course. She said she’d come and visit here sometime  but I always told her I was too busy because, well, I didn’t really want her to see me in the conditions I was in up ‘til a while ago. We’ll probably arrange something in the next few months”