eighty-three

"Oh shit, we're gonna miss you El" Sarah said once I'd told her, Mei and Maya about me changing jobs.

I'd received the news about getting chosen for the job at the bookshop a few days before, but I figured I could tell them the same day we'd arranged to meet up for lunch.

"It's not as if we're not gonna see each other ever again" I laughed, meaning it for Sarah at least. Her and Mei were still going strong together, and if I was going to keep being Mei's friend I probably would have seen Sarah quite often too. And since she was her best friend, the same would be for Maya, I guessed.

"Okay, but stop by the shop whenever you want" the blonde went on. "And the four of us can still have nights us together"

"Sure thing" I smiled, appreciating both her and Mei's enthusiasm.

As for Maya, she hadn't been saying much and she stayed that way throughout the whole meal. I still found it hard to grasp what she was thinking at times, but I could tell she was resisting the urge to say something.

My suspicions were confirmed once we walked out of the place, when she pulled me aside as Sarah and Mei were acting couple-y and all.

"I can't help but feel slightly guilty" she just said.

"No need. I'm not doing it because of you" I replied, seeing no point in pretending I didn't know what she was talking about.

"You sure about that?" she asked, making it sound more like she knew I was anything but sure.

"I...okay, whatever happened might have contributed. But I really needed to work somewhere nearer to where I live and with a higher pay. So that's that"

"Fair enough" she nodded. "I've already said, this, but I'm sorry for...everything wrong I might have done"

"Don't worry about it" I instinctively replied, not really wanting to talk about all of that.

"You're always telling people not to worry, El"

"Because it's true..." I mumbled, earning a raised brow from her. "Okay, don't call me out like that. Let's just not talk about it anymore"

"I agree. I just wanted to apologize one last time. As much as it's pretty useless now"

"It's not useless...I appreciate it" I said, pausing to think if whatever I wanted to add was worth saying. "Maybe you should have thought about it before acting so...uhm, well"

"Immature?"

"I...I guess so. You could have avoided it. But thank you for apologizing"

"Yeah" she shrugged. "No problem. I mean it"

"I feel like it'll be good for both of us if we don't work together anymore"

"I know. I don't wanna be the cause of other problems in your relationship. And not hearing anything about her will allow me to finally properly move on"

"Yeah" I just said, not knowing what else would be appropriate to reply.

"I'm glad you two are happy"

"You don't have to say that"

"I mean it" she said with a hint of a smile, before our conversation was interrupted by Mei's loud voice.

"Me and El better head back to class" she said, throwing an arm over my shoulders. "Am I interrupting something?"

"You're good" Maya chuckled.

"Yeah. We should head back" I agreed. "See you around, then?" I added, facing both Maya and Sarah.

"Of course" the blonde said with a smile, pulling me into a hug, as Maya just nodded with the same faint smile.