eighty-six

Going back to New York after the holidays was pretty sad, especially because I had exams the following week. And I also disliked the cold January weather in general, it really made having to go out and attend classes everyday much more miserable.

But at least my birthday was coming up, which was something to look forward to. Even though I was just going to spend it like a normal Friday, classes and then work until the evening, Sam said we could at least get some fancy takeaway pizza in the evening and then do something in the weekend, which I gladly accepted.

I'd asked Vic if she wanted to join me in the city for the weekend since we hadn't seen each other in months, and Sam's guest room had basically never been used. But she said she had a lot to study and couldn't lose a whole weekend, unfortunately. I told her not to worry about it, but I was actually a bit sad. And I needed to try and not start thinking things like "we're starting to grow apart because of distance" for my own mental health's sake.

I had a pleasant surprise that day when I walked out of work, already quite happy because my coworkers had somehow remembered my birthday, and gave me a book gift card.

"Sam?" I said as soon as I spotted my girlfriend outside of the bookshop.

"Hi baby" she looked up and smiled as soon as she saw me, greeting me with a kiss. "I got out of work early and thought I'd come and pick you up, 'cause it's your special day"

"Thank you..." I said, trying to figure out if there was something she wasn't telling me.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" she laughed.

"No reason, you coming here is just very random considering it's a five minute walk from where we live..."

"I can't do something kind for my girlfriend on her birthday?"

"Of course you can, it's just that...never mind. Let's go, I'm so unbelievably tired"

"Alright" she just chuckled, taking my hand in hers.

But I still kept wondering if something was up, because she was weirdly quiet the whole walk back home and I could see a slight smirk she'd been trying to hide.

I turned out to be right, because once I opened the front door I found myself face to face with both Mei and Vic.

"What the actual fuck?" was the first instinctive thing I said, thinking I was having some kind of hallucination.

"That's your way of greeting me?" Vic burst out laughing.

"No, sorry, I'm just...surprised. Oh my god, hi. You're really here" I said as I squeezed her into a hug, immediately feeling even happier than I already was.

"Happy birthday, El" she said, hugging me back. "You really thought I was gonna choose studying over being with you for your birthday?"

"I mean...I don't know" I shrugged. "Hi Mei" I added, hugging her too.

"Hi El" she chuckled. "I've already told you today, but happy birthday"

"Thanks" I said, a big smile on my face. "I'm surprised I didn't suspect anything...how long have you been planning this?" I asked Sam.

"A few weeks" she shrugged.

"What? Really?"

"We don't all suck at keeping secrets like you, El" Vic patted my shoulder.

"If you came all the way here to bully me, you can go back to Boston"

"You do not mean that" she threw an arm over my shoulders.

"I don't" I nodded with a laugh.

If I was ready to have a relaxing evening with Sam and go to bed as soon as possible when I'd finished my shift, my mood had absolutely changed by then.