seventy-seven

I knew nothing terrible had probably happened, but I couldn't help but get extremely paranoid.

My mom would never call me just to know how I was, she kind of pretended to care during my first months of being away but our calls would always just end after a minute or so. And I really doubted that she suddenly was interested in me after what happened less than a month before.

My mind started to think of all the possible scenarios, one of them being she found out who I was actually in London with. But how could she have? The only thing she'd asked for was someone's I was with number, but once again I doubted she actually cared. I'd asked Mei if I could give her her number, assuring her she wasn't going to call anyway.

I was basically silent the whole journey to the airport because of the situation, but luckily Sam didn't seem to mind as she just tried her best to comfort me with physical affection.

By the time we got to our gate we still had an hour to kill and it was 6:30am in New York, so I figured I could try to call my mom, I knew she always woke up early.

"Hi mom" I said once she actually picked up. Sam squeezed my hand as I gave her a nervous look.

"Eleonor, hi! Sorry for the calls yesterday, I only later realized it was night for you" she said.

"It's okay. Did something happen?"

"I can't just call you because I want to hear from my daughter?"

"You literally never have" I plainly said.

"That's not true. I mean, you know...you know. Anyway, something did happen"

"What is it?" I asked, trying my best to contain any comment about me being right.

"It's nothing terrible, but grandma isn't very well. She fell and broke an arm. She'll be in hospital just for a few checkups in the next few days, the doctors said she'll be fine though. But I thought it'd be nice if you were able to come along to visit her with us one of these days. I can't remember if you're still on your holiday or not"

"I'm sorry to hear that...good thing she's okay. I'm at the airport right now, so I could try to get there tomorrow or the day after. There's last minute trains I guess" I said, causing Sam to look very confused.

"Tomorrow would be great. I'd pay the train ticket, of course. We'd all really appreciate it, and there's something else I wanted to talk about in person"

"Uhm, okay. Nothing you can just share now?"

"You know I don't like talking on the phone"

"Okay, yeah. I need to go now, I'll let you know about tomorrow"

"Thank you. Have a good flight, then"

"Yeah, thanks. Bye"

"Bye, Eleonor" she said as I ended the call.

I just stayed silent for a few seconds, taking in everything I'd just heard.

"Is everything okay?" Sam asked.

"My grandma broke her arm and she's in hospital. She's okay, though. But they want me to go visit her with them tomorrow, so I guess I'll have to catch a train"

"Shit, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad she's okay. You know, I could drive you there"

"Oh my god, no, it's a two hour drive. I'd never let you drive for four hours while also jet-lagged"

"Are you sure? I don't mind"

"Completely sure. My mom's paying for the ticket anyway. Don't worry"

"Okay" she rested an arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to her as I rested my head on her shoulder. "You're gonna stay one night?"