sixty-six

When I woke up the following morning, it felt good to temporarily not remember why I was in Vic's bedroom and why my eyes felt so puffy. But once the realization hit, I felt as bad as before I fell asleep.

I sat up and saw that Vic was still fast asleep in her bed, but I knew that if I stayed in bed while awake I'd just start spiraling about everything that happened. So I got up trying not to wake her up and headed to the kitchen, forgetting that her parents were probably getting ready for work at that time.

"Oh, hi, sorry" I sleepily mumbled as I entered the room, seeing my friend's mom pouring herself some coffee.

"Morning Ellie" she smiled the same reassuring smile I remember her having ever since I first met her. "You want some coffee?"

"Uh, sure, thanks" I nodded. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"Don't, you know I always like some company" she shook her head, handing me a mug. "And I've told you you can act as if you're in your own house here countless times over the years"

"Thank you" I said, sitting on one of the chairs around the table.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, sitting next to me.

I hadn't told them much about why I'd basically escaped my own house, especially because I didn't feel like explaining it all over again. I only said I'd got into a fight with my mom and they didn't question me about it. Also probably because I was looking visibly miserable and didn't try to hide how much I'd been crying.

"Decent, I guess" I chuckled. "Better than yesterday"

"I'm glad. If you ever feel like talking about it... I'm here for you as usual"

"Thank you so much, Monique" I smiled. "It's just... you know, my mom still is kind of homophobic"

"I imagined. I'm so sorry, sweetie" she patted my arm. "Let me know if there's anything we can do for you"

Ever since my relationship with my parents had become so tumultuous, Vic's parents had always been there for me anytime I needed, especially her mom. I'd told her basically everything when my mom had stopped talking to me the previous year, so I didn't need to tell her much for her to understand why I suddenly didn't want to be in my house, once again.

"Letting me stay here for a few days is already more than enough" I said as I took a sip of coffee.

"Your parents know you're here, right?"

"Yeah, kind of. I didn't tell them I'm gonna stay here for a while but they probably don't want to see me anyway" I shrugged. "Sorry, didn't mean to make the conversation sad again"

"Don't worry, I just wanted to make sure they know you're safe" she nodded. "Even if I'm not sure your parents like this household that much"

"It's hard for them to like anyone, if it makes you feel better" I chuckled. "I'm gonna have to go back home a while before leaving for New York anyway"

"How are you getting on in New York, by the way? I'm so happy you moved there like you always said you would"

"Oh, it's great. Probably the best decision I've ever made. I met so many amazing people and finally feel like I belong in a place, you know" I smiled, Sam popping into my mind as soon as I mentioned the city.

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you. I knew you'd love New York" she smiled back. "The kind of city you can just never get bored in, am I right?"

"I've been anything but bored this year" I laughed to myself, maybe too much for someone who didn't really know everything that went on in those months.