seventy

"I used to dream of living here during my college years" Sam chuckled as we walked through what was probably the prettiest neighborhood I'd ever seen in my life, Notting Hill.

"I'd definitely want to live here if I lived in this city" I nodded, admiring the colorful buildings surrounding us.

Each corner was filled with art and beautiful little shops, like libraries, and restaurants. We'd also just walked through the most aesthetically pleasing market I'd ever seen. I'd watched that one movie about that place years before, but I assumed they'd changed stuff to make it look prettier for the movie. Turns out it was just like that everyday.

"I remember my long walks alone here like it was yesterday. It'd take me a while to get here, but it's always been the only area that would put my mind at ease, or just distract me from life whenever I needed that" she said, suddenly stopping. "I spent more hours than I can count in that cafè" she pointed towards a shop with a dark green sign above it and small wooden tables and chairs in front of it.

"So you wanted to be that one mysterious girl everyone notices" I said with a giggle.

"Not really. I just needed some alone time, something I couldn't really have with three other people living with me" she shrugged.

"You had roommates? I can't imagine you living with other people" I said, jokingly.

"Well, yeah, I was living in the university's accommodation included in my scholarship, I didn't really have much choice"

"Oh. You've never told me much about your college years" I said, suddenly realizing. I knew she never talked about her past that much, even if she never minded if I was the one to ask about it. But I only then realized how little I knew about her whole college experience.

"You'll hear more about it today, I think" she said, whatever that meant.

I only realized after she showed me another few places and roads and we got onto the subway for a few stops, getting off in a completely different looking neighborhood. We were suddenly surrounded by brownish old-looking buildings and bricked pavements.

"This, my love, is where I spent ten years of my life" she said as we arrived in front of two huge buildings, both of them with a "University College London" sign in front of them.

"It's where you studied?" I asked, admiring the sight.

"Yes, and where I started teaching" she nodded, a nostalgic smile on her face. "Come on" she added, grabbing my arm and walking into the building that also had "campus" written on it.

"What? We can't just walk in here like this"

"Who says?" she chuckled. "Plus, it's mid-July, most offices and departments are closed. If the didn't want people walking in here they should close the gate"

"Okay" I mumbled, following her inside. She was looking so enthusiastic that I didn't want to ruin that anyway.

We found ourselves in a huge green space with benches and trees scattered around it, and surrounded by white also ancient looking buildings, each one with a department name on a sign.

"Oh my god" she said, looking around. "This is bringing so many memories back. Both good and bad. Look, I'll show you the specific spot me and my friends used to meet before lessons" she added as she led me to a bench placed next to a rather small tree, and a black bike stand.

"This place is really nice" I smiled, feeling a surge of happiness as I saw Sam's smile hadn't faded since we walked in.

"It is" she sighed. "I'm feeling nostalgic. Incredibly nostalgic. Oh my god, the English department is open. I need to go inside" she added, walking to a small flight of stairs that led to an entrance before I could say anything.