eighty-four

three months later

"Good morning, my love" was the first thing I heard when I opened my eyes that morning, finding Sam's blue eyes right in front of me, as my head was resting on the edge of her pillow.

"Morning" I mumbled, snuggling closer to her, surprised she was still in bed and hadn't gotten up earlier.

"Happy anniversary" she said, kissing the top of my head.

"Happy anniversary" I smiled and pecked her lips.

"Your eyes look so pretty" she also smiled.

"Did you stay in bed just for me?"

"Yeah. My classes are all later in the morning and no one will notice if I don't show up earlier than that"

"You didn't have to, but I appreciate it a lot"

"I wanted this to be the first thing you heard today" she said, wrapping an arm around my body. "I can't believe it's really been a whole year"

"I know, me neither" I agreed, realizing how much had happened and changed in one year.

"It seems like yesterday when I bumped into you for the first time. But I also feel like I've known you my whole life. So weird. In a good way"

"Well, this has probably been the best year of my life"

"You're just saying that because you just woke up and you're not lucid"

"I'm not. I'll tell you again later on so you're sure I'm lucid" I insisted, resting my head on her chest.

"Okay" she chuckled. "I still have to get up soon. I'll make us breakfast"

"Let's stay here just another while" I wrapped my legs around hers as if to block her movements.

"Gladly" she said with a weirdly loud sigh.

"Was that loud breath meant in a good way?" I asked with a giggle.

"Yeah, sorry. I'm just trying to realize we've actually been together for one year" she pulled me even closer to her. "You've really changed my life"

"You too" I said. Even after a year, hearing her say anything like that always gave me butterflies in my stomach.

"We were here in bed when we made it official. Who would have thought"

"I know, I remember. You'd just taken me out to dinner for the first time" I said, feeling slightly nostalgic. "I was on the verge of an anxiety attack that whole meal, honestly"

"I could tell" she chuckled. "I tried my best to make you feel at ease"

"You did pretty good, I'd say" I pressed a kiss on her cheek. "We should go out for dinner this weekend. I don't even have work on Saturday"

"Really?"

"Yeah. Why so surprised?"

"You're usually the one who wants to stay in to celebrate stuff"

"Well, maybe I've changed. Or maybe this is just a very special occasion, don't you think? Or both, actually"

"Hm, I guess so. It's more than fine for me"

"Deal" I laughed. "I really wish we didn't have to get up. It's so nice and warm here. Maybe I should just skip class today"

"You've got an exam in a week, that's not a good idea"

"No need to remind me" I sighed. "And I work until eight today, just to make things worse"

"At least it just takes you five minutes to get back here"