seventy-one

"I have no idea what to wear!" I sat on the side of the bed, multiple clothes on the floor in front of me.

"Just wear whatever you'd wear if it was just the two of us" Sam said from the other side.

"But it's not just the two of us!!!" I buried my face in my hands.

"I'm completely sure no one will care about what you're wearing" she slid across the bed, basically tackling me onto the mattress. "You look gorgeous with anything"

"Stop! Sam!" I groaned, trying to free myself from her grip. "You saying that won't stop me from stressing about it. I want to make a good impression on your friends"

"Okay, show me your options then" she kissed the pout on my face away and moved.

"Keep your hands off me if I change in front of you, though"

"Who do you think I am? Some animal that can't control its instincts?" she laughed. "Of course I will"

"Yes, kind of" I joked, pulling a few clothes out of the pile on the floor, seconds before Sam threw a pillow at me. "Babe! I was just kidding. We're wasting time"

After trying countless combinations of clothes, and Sam saying I looked great with literally all of them, I chose a basic high-waisted jeans and white tank top combination.

The simpler I went, the less risk of feeling judged by her friends there was.

I knew she probably was right and didn't need to be so stressed about it all, but it was kind of a big deal to me. I maybe cared about their approval a little too much. But I tried not to show too much of what I was feeling to Sam.

She told me we'd be going to a bar she'd always go to with her friends since they first met, and that they'd always meet up there when she happened to be in London. I never learned much more about the place, probably because something bad had seemed to happen both times she'd gone to London since we met. But I tried to shake all of those thoughts away.

And I also knew that most of my nervousness was centered around the fact that her friends were all ten or more years older than me. I knew it didn't make much sense because Sam's age had never been something that I'd even think about that much, but it was different. I was in love with her, so it didn't count.

I'd never hung out with a whole group of people so much older than me and I had no idea on how I was supposed to act. Different than with people my age, for sure. And I meanwhile needed to impress them too.

"Ready to go?" Sam snapped me out of my thoughts as she walked out of the bathroom wearing a rather short spaghetti-strap black dress, black heels and red lipstick.

"I- Uh, yeah" I mumbled, momentarily at a loss for words because of the sight in front of me.

"You good?" she chuckled, walking to me and wrapping her arms over my shoulders.

"Mhm" I just nodded, feeling flustered at her towering over me. And I knew she knew it.

"You sure?" she tilted her head, slightly squinting her eyes and sliding her hands downwards, until she reached my lower back.

"Yes, I'm sure" I said with a long sigh, trying to get my shit together as I felt like heat was invading my whole body.

"Okay then" she lifted my chin with her index finger and kissed me.

"Now get off me before we end up being an hour late" I added after I kissed her back.

"A whole hour, huh?" she raised a brow.

"Stop" I playfully hit her arm.

"Fine" she stepped back. "We'll make up for it all later. Let's get going"