forty-eight

Sam's pov

I told myself everything was going to be alright one last time before the elevator's door opened. And I once again thought of escaping when I rang the doorbell, but it was probably too late, Maya soon after appearing in front of me.

"Hi" she said, a smug expression already on her face. "Come in"

She looked the same as the last time I'd seen her, except from her hair surprisingly being her natural color, apart from one strand. Her apartment also looked quite similar to our old one, I even recognized some pieces of furniture.

"Hi" I sighed, looking around as I tried to ignore how fast my heart was beating. "Let's make this as quick as we can, yeah?"

"You look exactly the same" she just said, closing the front door behind us.

"And this house is weirdly similar to our old one" I turned towards her, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, I...I didn't want moving out to be as disruptive as it already would have been. It's definitely smaller, though" she mumbled. I could tell she was also nervous, she'd never been good at lying.

"When did you move out? Like, how long after, you know..." I asked. Maybe attempting small talk wasn't a great idea. But I wasn't really able to think lucidly in that moment.

"Oh, uhm, after a month, more or less"

"Nice" I said, realizing we were both kind of eyeing our figures up, mostly to notice any changes. On my end, at least.

"Yeah" she nodded, suddenly avoiding eye contact.

"So" I cleared my throat. "What is it that you desperately wanted to talk about after telling me you never wanted to see me again ten months ago?"

"You told me the same, to be fair"

"Rightly, I may add. But here we are" I shrugged.

"Still haven't lost your attitude, I see" she said. "We should sit, at least. You want anything to drink?" she nodded towards the open kitchen door on the other side of the room, two white chairs placed next to the counter.

"Nope" I sat, crossing my legs and leaning back.

"You probably already drank a bottle of something before coming here" she said under her breath, sitting next to me.

"Actually, no" I said, already annoyed at her. "I'm not...I'm not really doing that anymore. Not that you ever cared"

"I did- Whatever. Let's not get into that. I'm glad you're not, really" she mumbled, still not facing me directly.

"Yeah, if you told me to come here just to repeat our last conversation I'm out. And thanks, I guess" I firmly said.

"No problem" she cleared her throat. "Uhm, anyway. I just, I don't know, I wanted to, uhm- shit. Hold on" she tried to formulate a coherent sentence as I stared at her, amused. Her smug expression soon turned scared.

Feeling like I was on the verge of an anxiety attack wouldn't prevent me from purposefully intimidating her for sure.

"Okay, so. When we broke up, we both probably thought it'd be the last time we'd have to see each other" she started, resting her visibly shaky hands on her lap.

"Without 'probably'" I cut her off.

"Yeah, okay. And I was fine with that. I guess you were too"

"Indeed"

"Right. But I realized it was all so abrupt that-"

"Was it, though?"

"For fuck's sake Sam, let me speak!" she said, looking frustrated.