sixty-nine

(a/n: this is just a silly disclaimer but i'm half english so english readers if you see me joking around about stereotypes don't take it personal lmao
+ as opposed to new york i've been to london/england multiple times so hopefully my portrayal of it isn't too inaccurate 🫶🏻)

I stared out of the taxi's window, raindrops sliding along it, still in disbelief of what was happening. The furthest I'd ever been on holiday without my family up 'til then was something like an hour from home, but I was suddenly in a whole other continent with my girlfriend.

She also seemed kind of lost in her own thoughts, or maybe she was just tired from the journey. But one of her hands was never not laced with mine the whole time, which made me feel more overwhelmingly happy than I already was.

It was already dark outside, but the streets were still full of people despite the rain and most shops were open, just like in New York. Each time I'd tried to suggest the two cities might be similar, Sam always disapproved, so I guessed the next few days would prove if she was right or not.

"You can stop here, thank you" she said as we approached a street full of brown-bricked houses, just like the ones that would pop up if you googled houses in London. Or probably in most parts of England. But I didn't already want to seem an ignorant American, so I kept my comment to myself.

I thanked the driver as we got out of the car, proceeding to take our luggage out of it and trying not to get too soaked by the rain through a definitely too small umbrella.

"You good?" Sam asked as we approached a house's entrance and she rang the doorbell.

"Yeah" I nodded. "You?"

"I'm great" she smiled, quickly kissing my forehead right before the door opened and we found ourselves in front of Sam's sister.

"Hello, you!" she smiled. "Come in, it's pouring outside! London's weather never disappoints, am I right?"

"Hi" Sam chuckled as the two hugged once we stepped inside. "Thank you for letting us stay here"

"Don't even. You know I'm happy to do it" she shook her head. "Ellie, hi! How are you?" she added, also hugging me.

"Pretty good" I giggled, smiling at how enthusiastic she was to see us.

"Was the flight okay?" she added.

"Yeah, it was fine. Only the landing was a bit messy because of this shit weather" Sam shrugged.

"Typical. I bet you were scared as hell but tried to seem careless as you always do" the blonde snickered, causing me to laugh at how accurate that description was. "She was, wasn't she?" she asked, looking at me.

"I mean..."

"Okay, that's enough" Sam interrupted us with a chuckle.

"Fine, I'll leave you to your convictions. Anyway, I guess you must be tired. Should I show you around the house or do you remember where everything is, Sam?"

"You can show us around, I've only been here once like two years ago" she shrugged.

"Oh, right. I'd just moved in and you were about to move to New York. You almost didn't even come because M-" she stopped herself as Sam gave her a glare. "Nevermind. Come along, then" she just said.

Lauren's house wasn't much bigger than my apartment in New York, it just had one extra bedroom and maybe a slightly larger kitchen-living room area. All the furniture wasn't as crowded and squeezed in as in mine. But it looked like a pleasant place to live in.

Once she'd showed us around we figured it was better if we tried to get some sleep despite the jet-lag, as Lauren also said she'd be going to bed.

"Hey, Ellie" she said at a lower voice volume while Sam was in the bathroom.