Chapter 16- The Avatar State

As much as the Northern tribe was beautiful, life changing and eventful. I couldn't tell you how stressed and worn out I was there. I'm so glad we are far away from that place now.

Aang and Katara were perched atop Appa's head in front of the reign.

"Sooo," Sokka whistled breaking the silence between him and I as we peacefully sat on the saddle with Appa riding us to our next destination.

I heard Momo purr as I stroked his ear and cuddled him in my lap. "Yes, Sokka?"

"Are you okay?"

I shifted my focus to Sokka. His ponytail appeared to be out of place and some of his hair was dangling in front of his face.

"I'm okay," I quietly answer. "You?"

"I'll be all right."

In hope that he would not speak again, I nodded my head. Despit, how much I appreciated Sokka, all I needed was silence to process what had transpired over the past few weeks.

Sokka seemed to notice my silence. He turned away and shrugged his body on the edge of the saddle.

Maybe, I was being a little harsh towards him. His lover was just taken away by the moon feel some empathy, Venus.

I carefully took a sleeping Momo off my lap, settling him on the saddle as I crawled my way over to Sokka. "Hey, Sok."

To look at me, Sokka slightly turned his head. "You haven't called me that in a while."

I pursed my lips to the side. I hadn't noticed. Was he keeping track?

"Why do you like that nickname? Do you want me to call you Sok, often?" I genuinely ask the water tribe boy.

"I like whatever name you call me," he murmurs.

Maybe, he didn't intend for me to hear what he said, but I did. "Even if I call you ponytail boy?" I giggle, tugging on his already loose ponytail.

"It's a wolf tail!" He exclaims pointing to it.

"It's falling apart." I crawl closer over to him as I gently remove the elastic from his hair. His lushes hair falls down, framing his face.

Seeing Sokka with his hair down warmed my cheeks. I don't think I've ever seen his hair completely down, now that I think about it.

"What's the matter?" Sokka inquires as he observes my blank stare at him.

I shake my head, a little dazed. "N-nothing."

"So, are you gonna tie my hair up or should I?"

Through my lashes, I saw Sokka. "I want to."

He quickly turned away from me and sat cross-legged with a smile on his lips. "Okay."

I flicked the elastic on, I stood on my knees and began to gather all of Sokka's hair into a ponytail, just like he usually has it.

Sokka looked at me as I sat close beside him. Our faces, close together. His cheeks became bright red as his eyes widened. "Uhhh-"

"You look great," I blurted out. Fuck, I said that out loud, didn't I?

Sokka rubbed the nape of his neck. "Thanks," he said, his eyes trailing over to my hair as he stopped at my waist, where my hair had fallen from. "Your hair's long."

With a soft sigh, I spoke. "Yeah, my mother never allowed me to cut it. I've always wanted to cut my hair, just a little bit, but I guess my trauma with her about my hair stuck with me, even when I was growing up without her."