Chapter 49- The Boiling Rock, Part 1

After a few days, Suki and I were put to excruciating work, typically we would see each other in the yard or during eating times but not as frequent as before.

Since we'd been too busy growing dumpling weeds for the past two weeks, I hadn't been able to inform Suki about the unsuccessful invasion plan, but we finally caught up with one another.

Honestly, I was beginning to adjust to the thug life, we failed escape after escape and I was so darn tired; I just gave up.

During our time in the yard, Suki and I were seated on a rock, observing a commotion between a prisoner and a guard. The other prisoners formed a circle around them, and the guards tried to restore order.

"I didn't do anything! I'm going back to my cell." The prisoner protested.

The guard retaliated by launching a fire whip towards him. "Stop right there, Chit Sang. I've had it with your unruly behavior!"

Two guards maneuvered their way through the crowd and stood in front of me, blocking my view.

"Hey," I softly hissed. "Can you move? I'm trying to watch."

Quickly, the tanned skin guard turned to face me and froze. "So pretty-I mean, Uh-uh-uh."

Confused, I looked from side to side. "Are you good?"

The lighter skinned guard, snatched his friend's arm. "Sorry, he's uh, he forgot to take his medication today."

I watched as the guard dragged his weirdo friend away from my view. Strangely, a sense of familiarity lingered in the air.

Shaking off the odd encounter, I refocused on the ongoing fight.

"What did I do?" Chit Sang questioned.

"He wants to know what he did," the bullying guard mocked, turning to the two guards I had previously talked with earlier. "Isn't that cute?" When they remained silent, he gave them a pointed look.

"Uh, very cute, sir."

"Super cute."

The bully guard approached Chit Sang. "You didn't bow down when I walked by, Chit Sang!"

Suki rolled her eyes. "Really? Let's go, this fight is pointless."

I swatted her hand away. "Wait, I want to see how this unfolds."

"What?" Chit Sang scoffed. "That's not a prison rule."

"Do it!"

"Make me." Chit Sang resorted.

"Ohh," I winced. "He said, 'Make me.' Are you just going to take that, guard?!"

Chuckling came from the two guards I had interacted with earlier. I couldn't help but smile.

"Venus, are you crazy?" Suki hissed. "Are you trying to get yourself in trouble?"

"Sorry."

The bully guard eventually walked away, but not before launching a fire blast at Chit Sang. Chit Sang deflected it and retaliated, leading to a brief confrontation. The guard managed to neutralize the attack with a swift kick.

The guard clicked his tongue. "Firebending is prohibited. You're going in the cooler." He pointed to the strange guard. "You! Help me take him in."

Gradually, the crowd of prisoners died down, leaving the courtyard empty.

Hours later, Suki braided my hair as we sat in our cells.

"Did you notice those two guards? They seemed oddly familiar," I suddenly remarked.