Chapter 51- Family Ties

It had been a few days since my return from prison. Sokka and I were relishing our time together when Zuko approached us. "Hey," he said, sliding over to our side.

I turned my head to see Zuko, offering a friendly greeting. "Hey, Zuko."

"Mind if we have a chat?" he asked.

Confusion crossed my face as I furrowed my eyebrows. "Yeah, sure. Sokka, could you give us a moment?"

"Sure," Sokka replied, standing up and giving us some privacy.

I leaned in, curious. "What's on your mind?"

Zuko's voice carried a sense of urgency. "There's something I forgot to mention, I know where your mother is."

My heart sank, and a wave of nausea washed over me. "My mother? How-?"

Zuko grimaced, clearly regretting his choice of words. "Well, I don't have the exact location, but I know someone who does."

I looked down, struggling to process the news. "Why are you telling me this now?"

"Because this person wants you to meet your mother. We used to...let's say have business together, a long time ago and when she saw you, she recognized the resemblance and gave me a note to pass on to you someday."

I glanced up at Zuko, trying to avoid focusing on his scar. "You've held onto this for all these years?"

Zuko blushed slightly, correcting me. "Actually, it's been a few months, but yes, I have." He extended the crumpled piece of paper from his pocket.

A mix of emotions overwhelmed me. I didn't know whether to cry, laugh or throw up.

But in that moment, I chose to fake a smile. I carefully unraveled the letter and began reading.

Dear Venus,

I understand we haven't properly met, but I am acquainted with your life more than you may realize. You're probably wondering who in the  spirits is sending you this message and why it ended up in the hands of that prince pouty and his creepy grandpa, but it was the only solution I could think of. I sincerely hope that the prince has delivered this letter to you, or I will personally ensure that he faces the consequences. But let's not dwell on that.

I possess knowledge of your mother's identity and her current whereabouts. I am well aware of the hardships she has put you through. However, if you still desire to meet her, you have the opportunity to do so. I am located at the border between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation. Prince pouty knows exactly where to find me. I strongly believe that reuniting with your mother could bring her immense joy and maybe you as well. Think about it 💋

Your favorite Bounty Hunter

Zuko glanced over my shoulder, noticing a smudge of red lipstick on the paper. "Oh, gross, she left her lipstick mark on it."

Tears streamed down my face as I continued to read the letter repeatedly. Eventually, I crumpled it up and angrily tossed it into the fountain.

"I hate that woman," I muttered through my tears.

"Ve-" Zuko began to speak, but I interrupted him.

"Zuko, she's unhinged...crazy....manipulative! I don't want any part of her."

Zuko shrugged, his expression conflicted. "I don't know, maybe you should consider seeing her. I would give anything to see my mother again."