Chapter 20- The Swamp

Flying through a gray sky over a large forested area; it is covered somewhat by fog, and looks rather menacing.

While Aang was steering Appa. Sokka was sharpening a whetstone against his machete, while Katara is studying a scroll. I was just rubbing Momo's tummy as I fed him some nuts.

We were slowly flying downwards. Sokka whips his head towards Aang. "Hey, you taking us down for a reason?"

I turn my head to view Aang staring down at the forest. Almost as if he were in a trance. "Aang? Why are we going down?" Sokka aggressively asks, once again since Aang didn't reply to his previous question.

A dazed Aang shakes his head. "What? I didn't even notice."

We continue to glide towards the forest. "Are you noticing now?"

Katara moves to the front of the saddle. "Is something wrong?"

Aang still seems somewhat dazed by the large forest. "I know this is going to sound weird, but I think the swamp is....calling to me."

Sokka holds his stomach. "Is it telling you where we can get something to eat?"

"No, I... I think it wants us to land there."

"No offense to the swamp, but I don't see any land there to land on." Sokka shrugs.

"I don't know. Bumi said to learn earthbending I would have to wait and listen, and now I'm actually hearing the earth. Do you want me to ignore it?"

Sokka, Katara, Momo and I look over Appa's saddle down at the swamp.

"Yes." Sokka replies.

"I don't know." Katara shivers. "There's something ominous about that place."

It did seem and look kind of sketchy.

Momo hides inside Appa's saddle as Appa groans.

"See," Sokka says standing up to look over at Aang. "Even Appa and Momo don't like it here."

"Okay," Aang resignedly said. "Since everyone feels so strongly about this," he looks at the swamp once more. "Bye swamp." He shakes Appa's rope. "Yip, Yip!"

Appa groans and flies upward, away from the swamp. A tornado suddenly emerges from out of nowhere, heading right for Appa. Sokka, hearing something, turns around and finally sees it. He jabs his finger into my back muscle.

I spin towards him and notice the tornado flying our way. How the spirits?! It came outta no where.

Sokka panicked. "You better throw in an extra yip!We gotta move!"

Appa starts to fly faster, attempting to avoid the tornado, however he is not fast enough to get away.

As the tornado begins to move closer to Appa, the wind pulls Sokka right off from the saddle. I manage to grab his hand, holding him back from flying into the tornado.

Aang jumps up onto Appa's saddle and creates an air shield around Appa, stabilizing the air and allowing Sokka to fall back into the saddle, uninjured.

The wind sucks Appa, who is still protected by the air shield, into the tornado.

Aang struggles to maintain the air shield, however as it shrinks, one of Appa's legs slips from the protective air, thereby breaking it.

Aang, Katara, Sokka and I fall off Appa and into the swamp. Aang lands lightly in the muddy water as the siblings and I land quite roughly.

I sat up from the dirty water, choking on the disgusting swamp juice.