o n e

Lee Y/n

Why does it always rain on funerals? My grandma once said it is how angels cry when the world loses a good person. But my father was no good man.

Trust me when I say it. He is, sorry, was the most terrible person I've ever met. Fear and disgust creep into my veins just thinking about the vicious things he has done. To my mother and me.

I am watching my dad's coffin being buried in the ground. Six feet under.

People are dressed in Black. I watch them come to me and say condolences but not a word is reaching my ears.

I'm blank.
I'm numb.
I'm relieved.
I'm, finally, at peace.

Just as the thought crosses my mind, I hear a loud blast far away and watch one of our SUVs fly in the air. Gunshots erupt across the graveyard and the guests run for their life.

Before I look around and get a hang of the situation, I am pulled away by my bodyguard, he throws the umbrella aside, pulls his gun out and grabs me back to a safe place.

We crouched behind a huge tombstone, he checked for my injuries and peeks to shoot any potential threat. But none comes. The sound of tires screeching away followed by some gunshot rings in the air.

And then everything falls silent. The attackers are long gone. No more shooting. No more blasts. It means this is just a warning to remind us that we have more enemies than allies.

The head of our security makes a quick security check and scurries my grandfather and me into a safer car that is taking us home.

"Are you okay?" My grandfather holds my palms, worry slashing his face.

"I'm fine Poppy, you okay?" He just nods worryingly. I'm breathing hard. I'm terrified. Poppy is the only family I have now. I cannot lose him.

Though he is seventy-five years old, he is still Korea's most feared Mafia boss.

He pulls me by his side and presses me into his chest, "Hurry up, make sure there's no tail", he barks at the driver, "This cannot happen. It cannot keep happening."

"What are you talking about?" I look up into his eyes to find answers to his fear. I have never seen my grandfather tense like this. Something is bothering him.

"We need to make stronger alliances. With your father gone, I'm taking back the position of the Mafia boss, your ignorant father was no good for that position. He only made more enemies. Now I'll make more alliances and I'll make sure you will be safe after I'm gone."

I clutch him tighter, "You are not going anywhere Poppy", tears spill down my eyes, "I'll be left alone in this world, please Poppy."

"You'll not be alone, I'll make sure of it."

I know what is he thinking. I'm not completely oblivious to how things work in a mafia family. Stronger alliances are made through weddings, by siring an heir.

I just turned twenty-one a couple of weeks ago and had suitors lined up at my father's office, making him lucrative deals. But my father was a greedy bastard, he always wanted more than everyone offered. So I was glad that it only delayed my betrothal.

But Poppy is seeing as it the only way to not leave me alone in his world in case he leaves too. His health is deteriorating and cannot argue otherwise on this issue.

When the SUV pulls into the driveway, we approach the huge fortress that I never called home. My dad always ignored my mom and jumped into bed with other women. He didn't love her. He didn't love me.

I walk through the big wooden doors and it feels emptier than ever. This year, my family hosted more funerals than galas.

First, my mom passed away from ovarian cancer. My dad organised a grand funeral service to show off his power.

Then my grandma.

And now my dad. Well, I returned the favour by giving him an extravagant funeral service. But it blew up.

The only people now left are me and my grandfather and a couple of dozen guards sauntering this fortress.

I walk to my parent's room and find a huge wall photo frame of them. Though my father's expression is blank and arrogant, my mom's smile is sweet and content. She loved him no matter how he treated her. No matter how much pain he inflicted on her.

When I was younger, I used to think she hurt herself but as I grew older I realised the reason behind those bruises and accidental slipping as she claimed. She always covered the bruises and scars from the world to not tarnish her husband's reputation.

Husband.
What will my husband be like?

My mama used to say 'marry the one that is your true friend.' I didn't understand how someone can marry one's friends until now.

"Women are not merely royal wombs to sire an heir, they are best friends with their life partners. Be friends with him and everything will fall in place."

My mother's words echo in my mind and I wonder what the future holds for me.