Extra Story 2 Part 2

"...... Many thanks to the Gonggong for his care."

Zhang Ping thought he heard the sound of grinding tooth flowers. Aiyaa, managing the emperor's household affairs is really not easy, take your time, we are not in a hurry, huh.

The old eunuch, who retired in the "Huanyi" Laundry Division, sniffed the new imperial tea brought by Zhang Ping and sighed, "I have not tasted this tea for 20 to 30 years. When I was with the emperor and served him to his pleasure, I was always rewarded with imperial tea once or twice a year. This is something that even the royal officials and nobles envy. It's a pity that Hu Rong is better at pleasing the Late Emperor than we are, without realizing it he has pushed us out from the Late Emperor's side."

The old eunuch seems to be nostalgic for the scenic moments of the past, stirring the tea paper bag for a long time.

Zhang Ping also did not rush him, sitting on a small bench while peeling peanuts and eating, not long after a pile of peanut shells on the ground.

These fried peanuts are so fragrant, but it's a pity it's not in the Emperor's menu. Well, infact us the common people also have a pretty good life.

"Where is Chief Steward Zhang from?" The old eunuch asked as he carefully tucked the tea paper bag into his sleeve.

Zhang Ping rubbed his peanut sleeve pocket and replied cheerfully, "It's from the village of Fang Ding, just 500 miles away from the capital.

"So you can be considered as one of the locals here too."

"Sort of."

"I heard that you have been serving the Emperor since you were a child?"

"Entered the palace when I was fifteen, which is not young."

"You are a lucky man." The old eunuch sighed, half in envy, half in jealousy.

"Thanks to the Emperor's care" he said. Zhang Ping gave a silly smile and went back to peeling his peanuts.

"Don't you have to serve the emperor at this time? The Emperor should be out of court, right?

"It's fine. I have Liu Shun here."

The old eunuch slapped his thigh with hatred and said, "Oh my! Zhang Gonggong, I'm not saying that you should cherish this hard-won opportunity since you are fortunate enough to have won the Emperor's favour. How can you give up the opportunity to be close to the Emperor to someone else? If you can't be smart, you might lose your favor, and then ...... it won't be easy. The old eunuch sounded like he had been there before.

Zhang Ping chewed on his peanuts and laughed, "Liu Shun is not the kind of person who likes to compete for favor."

"The more people are tempted by power, the more they will change. The more non-threatening you think you are, the more careful you should be. Look at me, I'm in this situation because I trusted the wrong person and let that guy Hu Rong take advantage of the situation and show his face in front of His Majesty.

Zhang Ping struggled to peel the peanuts, thinking of saving some for Xiao Jie as he continued to destroy the few fried peanuts left.

" Zhang Gonggong, Chief Steward!"

"Li Gonggong, you are still alive and can still eat the fried peanuts that even the Emperor cannot eat.

Li Gonggong looked at the few fried peanuts left in the basket, pondered for a moment, and then suddenly grinned with a mouth missing a tooth.

"What Zhang Gonggong said is true" He is old and not as shrewd as he was then. I don't think this man is as honest as his appearance suggests, since he can sit beside him as the eunuch chief steward. He heard that he's not an easy man to get along with. And if this Zhang Gonggong had been an honest man, he would have died in this cannibalistic palace.