Chapter 21.2

In June the sixth month of the 24th year of Emperor Sheng's reign, the Great General of National Guard Liu Bai died of illness, King Ning Huangfu Jie holds a secret order to temporarily to take over the position of Commander-in-chief.

In August of that year, the following successes were reported : The Xiongnu withdrew fifty miles from the Yanmen Pass, with killing more than 10,000 and 500 captives - this was the first major victory for the King Ning since he became commander-in-chief of an army.

Emperor Sheng's royal face was so great that he posthumously appointed Liu Bai as the Duke of National Defence, bestowing him with ten thousand taels of gold and silver, but the title of Duke could not be inherited.

The Crown Prince's faction, having lost the news of the secret envoy, sent people to Yanmen Pass several times to spy, but they found nothing. But he didn't know that the spy had already been secretly sent to the capital, and as for who it was sent to......

The court began to dispute unceasingly about who would be the 1st great general in chief to fight the barbarian.

In November of the same year, another success was reported from the frontier : The army took the victory and the Xiongnu retreated another fifty miles, with nearly 10,000 dead and wounded, and offered for a truce in winter.

Once again, the court hall was in an uproar, which was even a greater commotion.

The crown prince proposed that Li Deng, the governor of Yanmen pass, should be appointed as the first general in chief to fight the barbarian, and that Yang Xiao, the commandant of Southern army, be sent to assist him

The faction of King Hui, who received the gift and sensed the Ning King's gesture of goodwill, suggested that the Ning King should remain as the commander-in-chief and the court should send another general, Ye Zhan, to assist him.

Some of them also mentioned that Yan Jing, who had just returned from the southwest, take up the post 1st general in chief to fight barbarian. Upon hearing this Yan Jing said that he did not know the situation of Yanmen and that going there rashly might delay the war. Moreover, there have been successive reports of success from the borders, and a change of generals before the battle would surely shake the morale of the army.

Yan Jing admonishes : Why don't we adopt King Hui's suggestion and keep King Ning as the first commander-in-chief of the army, and change him again if he has any problems. After all, King Ning had been fighting in the border gates for more than three years, if he sent another general, he is afraid that no one would be as familiar with the situation in the border gates as he was.

When Emperor Sheng heard this, he thought it was very reasonable.

There is even a official who says :The Xiongnu are also afraid of his face and call him "Demon Commander". Perhaps the King Ning was born to be a great general, guarding the border Daya for Emperor Sheng.

This statement was echoed by a large number of people.

The crown prince wanted to say more, but was persuaded to stopped by a meaningful glance from Prime Minister Wei

Emperor Sheng listened to the ministers words, thinking of the childish words the Fourth Prince had spoken in front of him, and then looking at his performance on the battlefield today, He immediately order to give the position of commander-in-chief to him, and at the same time an imperial decree was sent to Li Deng, ordering him to assist the King Ning in repelling the Xiongnu.

Crown Prince secretly clenched his teeth, believing that ugly four and Lao second were in collusion.

When Huangfu Jie received the decree, he acted in fear and said that he would not let down the Holy Grace and that he would defeat the Xiongnu and get the letter of surrender from Jue Dun within three years.