Chapter 18.1

Three years passed in a flash.

Zhang Ping stands on the head of the city.

Raising his head up, he seems to be able to hear the killing from afar. Lowering his head, he seemed to be able to smell the bloody smell that had been accumulating for many years.

The blood boiled through the body.

He knew it was all illusions. The Xiongnu army has retreated for the time being, waiting for the next spring to make a comeback.

He still remembered that at the beginning, after a month and a half of marching on foot* following the first army rushing to the mouth of Yanmen Pass, he was immediately shaken by the magnificent Yanmen Pass which was nestled in the mountains and dangers.

This first pass under heaven* is over looking Yanmen mountain in the East and leaning against Longshan mountain in the West. The two mountains face each other in the shape of Tianmen. It consists of three parts of city wall :  Guancheng  (defensive fort over border post), Wengcheng(enceinte of a city gate)and Weicheng (fortress). The Guancheng have three gate facing East , West and North that were opened, but now due to the war, the three gates are extremely strict in checking the entry and exit.

Inside the Guancheng, the north gate is the Wengcheng*, and outside Wengcheng there is a Weicheng(fortress). The fortress is built according to the mountain trend. The south end of the city wall is connected with the East and West wings of the city, and the north is extended along the ridge to the valley bottom. The gate is also built at the closure. There are three big stone walls and twenty-five small stone walls built outside the fortress city to form a barrier.

With such a pass entrance, it is no wonder that the Xiongnu have had to look at the wall and sigh to the city for centuries.

In the past three years, when attacking or defending, Juedun The Chanyu* didn't break into Yanmen pass and they also did not push the Xiongnu to retreat.

Half a month ago, the northern part of the Great Wall entered the winter, and the Xiongnu returned to their encampment and waited for the spring to come.

And they can also relax their breath and return to Yanmen pass to guard.

"Dangerous peaks where the geese passing by in autumn tint, and thousands of miles of yellow sand scattered in the setting sun."

Zhang Ping did not look back. He knew who was the one who expressed his feelings.

"Autumn is long over. The third prince also returned to the capital."

"I know"

"Aren't you going back?" The man was already much taller than him, probably half his head. He's not exactly short, but let's just say the man is abnormally developed.

"You want me to go back?

Zhang Ping turned his head and shook his head. To be honest, he was many times happier here than in the capital.

"I'm not going back. It wouldn't do me any good to go back now. I've had a hard time getting a bit of a foothold here and a team of my own, but if I go back, all that will be gone." Huang Fu Jie stretched out his hand to caress the fort wall's battlement gap.

"Yeah, the third prince was returning with honor, It is indispensable to reward him. In less than two years, he was promoted from rapid as Tiger Commandant to the post of Right General. But you, Sir Cavalry Captain, you 're far behind. After 3 years, you can only be promoted from a deputy to a chief captain" Zhang Ping with haha mocked his Cavalry Captain Wangye.