74. Heart to Heart

The ride back to the clubhouse was silent.

Lynne had felt like her world ended today. Her best friend died (?) protecting her and her child... but more or less, she was shot at with her newborn.

Lynne looked over at Jax in response to her rubbing her leg. His bright blue eyes showed concern as he looked at her. Lynne shook her head and then glanced in the back seat at Lillia, who slept the whole ride.

After the incident, the whole club was going on lockdown.

Thankfully, Jax had decided to take Lynne home quickly to pack a few bags for themselves and the kids, as Gemma had already grabbed the boys from daycare.

Lynne looked back over at Jax, who leaned close and pressed a small kiss on his girlfriends temple.

"I love you." He said gently. He didn't say it much, but he knew she needed to hear it tonight.

Lynne nodded, "Love you Jack," she spoke gently and reached for his hand. She became occupied with tracing lines on his palms to hold back the tears.

"You're strong," He spoke, "I'm proud of you."

"Why?" She asked inquisitively as she looked over as the garage bays of the shop shut. "Why are you proud of me?"

"Because you've handled everything since coming back to charming. It hasn't been easy on you," He spoke as he tucked strands of her blonde hair behind her ears.

"You've never thought of leaving?" Lynne asked. She didn't know how this question would go over with her boyfriend.

"I have... but I know that I can't." He spoke, "I have business here."

"So you'd never want to live a normal life in which our kids aren't targets and being shot at?" Lynne asked, staring into Jax's being blue eyes. She continued to trace the lines on his palms and watched as he sat in silence.

"I don't want this life for our kids."

"But you don't want to leave."

Lynne finished his statement for him and looked away. "I get it. You have obligations to people and this is how we put food on the table. It's just scary to think that something could have happened to our daughter today."

"I'll make sure it never happens again."

"But it still did happen." She whispered, tears forming in her eyes. "Our daughter is... one month old and she's already seen violence. She's already been shot at."

Jax went silent.

All he could do was pull her into his arms as she started to cry.

...

With a sad smile, Lynne got out of the SUV that Jax had borrowed from Gemma and shut the passage her side door.

She avoided looking at her car as she walked around the side of the car and met Jax, who was holding Lillia's car seat as he walked to the front entrance of the clubhouse.

With not another word to Jax, she watched as Abel rushed over to her, crying. She bent down and pulled him into a tight hug.

"Mommy!" He cried.

"Hi baby," she spoke as she held the three year old close to her body. Shakily, she kissed his head and then pulled back, wiping his tears. "You did a good job being strong today."

"Grandma got me... you didn't come." He spoke, concern showing in his eyes. For only being three, Lynne was convinced he was a genius.

"Mommy had to deal with a few things," Tears welled up in her eyes as she recalled the events that had happened during the day. "Everything is okay now. I'm here, baby." She said softly, "Where's Thomas?"

"With grandma," Abel spoke softly, wiping his eyes. He reached up and wiped Lynne's eyes as well. "I love you, mama."

"I love you, Abel." She spoke gently. "Can you go get ready for bed?" She asked, looking at him. He nodded and walked off to the room that they were staying in.

Lynne stood up and watched as a multitude of people came over to chat and hug her, but she was exhausted. She tried her best, before she excused herself after taking Lillia from Jax and heading to the room.

Lynne looked down at her daughter, who was starting to grow in light brown hair. She smiled sloghtky as she stepped into the room and closed the door behind her.

"Hi, mom," Lynne spoke softly as she noticed Gemma in the corner, rocking Thomas while Abel was changing into pajamas.

"Oh sweetie.." Gemma spoke as she looked up, noticing the condition Lynne was in. "Are you hurt?" She asked gently, "Lilli?"

She shook her head twice and set the baby down on the bed, watching as Abel jumped up and sat with her, kissing her head and keeping her entertained.

"It was scary," Lynne spoke, her eyes filling with tears.

"Oh, Darling," Gemma said softly and stood up, gently putting a sleeping Thomas down on the bed. She immediately pulled her future daughter in law into her arms and held her tightly. "I'm so sorry," she spoke.

Lynne wrapped her arms around the woman and choked back her sobs. "Me too," she whispered. "Me fucking too..."