Vol 2 Chapter 9: The Meeting

3rd person POV

At the beginning of July, a much-anticipated and important meeting occurred between the members of Class A.

"Okay, thank you for coming, everyone." The strawberry blonde looked around to find all the seats in the class occupied; everyone was present. "As you already know, the next special exam is well on its way, so I've gathered you here to devise a suitable strategy to win. In case you didn't know, the contents are still obscure, but we already have a silver lining to work with."

This meeting took place during the morning homeroom period of the day; their teacher wasn't present for some sobering issues. During this period, Ichinose Honami, their class leader, thought it best to hold the strategy meeting since everyone would be in a refreshed and transparent state in the mornings.

"We are required to form groups according to a pattern proposed by the school, and those group members would share the same fate as they tackle the obstacles together. It is worth mentioning that the more flexible the group is, the better its chances of winning since our silver lining is the accumulation of skill and talent: the larger the circle of your expertise, the better. No matter how trivial or petty, you can expect to be compensated for it in this exam."

Despite the large number of people gathered inside, Ichinose's voice could ring clearly and broadly, reaching everyone as they intently listened to her in complete silence.

"That's why it's important to form well-balanced groups across each fundamental field: academic and physical. We've come so far together, and I believe everyone here can carry himself academically, so that shouldn't be of concern. What matters is the distribution of the physically adept students."

Some people already had reservations about teaming up with someone they were closely familiar with, and Ichinose was aware of this. However, they had to heed the class's ideology: to battle it as a class. So they held off on sealing their party and waited for this meeting.

"So, what are you guys suggesting?" She sat back in her seat and allowed everyone to voice their opinions or ideas they had during the preliminary period of this meeting.

The first one to stand up and speak was the known co-leader of the class, and everyone was happy to temporarily set aside their ideas and let him speak first.

"I reckon we should form groups within our class and avoid outside partnerships." Kanzaki voiced his idea sharply, with a penetrating look on his face. "I doubt anybody would be willing to cooperate with us, except if we're talking about the defects; they'll only drag us down."

He presented his sound line of argument broadly, and everyone seemed to find no fault in it.

"Shh, don't refer to them like that, Kanzaki-kun." Ichinose hushed Kanzaki with a soft smile as she spoke calmly. "They may be defective, but they had powerful people among their ranks, like Kouenji-kun. Plus, if you refer to them like that, those who belonged there may not take it very well-"

"No, that's fine, Ichinose-san." She was cut short by Hirata, who spoke calmly. "Don't scold Kanzaki-kun for sizing them up for what they are; they were truly worthless defects. Don't worry about us, because we don't care."

He was smiling gleefully while uttering his ruthless words. Matsushita had a brilliant smile and didn't seem affected by the remarks. Kouenji, on the other hand, wasn't even listening to the conversation.

"Oh, okay." Ichinose decided to quickly back off and drop the topic. "Anyway, regarding Kanzaki-kun's suggestion, I was thinking about forming a supergroup that would lead our class to the top ranks."