Karuizawa Kei Soliloquy

Hopelessness. Suffering. Despair.

If my life were ever to be aired in a movie, those would be the main genres defining it.

Since the day I was born, there hasn't been a single instance when I felt truly happy.

It's like my soul was cursed with a dreadful omen from birth.

Nothing could ever go right for me.

My drunken father abused us daily in many ways, just so he could continue living in luxury. My mother, who had lost her mind, started working us off to earn the bucket.

There was nothing I and my sisters could do at such a young age; there was nobody we could turn to for help.

We lived in a notoriously poor hood—a spider den—full of crimes and immortality; the average day walking there was like passing through a pound of rotten flesh during an apocalypse due to the atrocious smell from the empty beer bottles and pollution lying leisurely on the street.

The police found it a tall task to aid us in how dangerous it is; it was like jumping off into a lava pit.

It was truly miserable, so it got deserted at the hands of whoever was running this shithole.

We were always the odd ones out when we stepped outside. The people gave us disdainful stares as though we were less than human.

It was the reality of the situation. We lived and grew up in a place full of ruthless animals, and I understand their look.

There were schools built there, and I went to study there. It wasn't any better. One would think the education system would at least be somewhat honest since it belongs to the government. But it felt like it belonged to a whole other nation.

There, I was maltreated and used for all sorts of things; the bullying at home even seemed to have followed me there. Boys and girls were equally ruthless. As soon as they laid their eyes on me, they knew I was easy prey.

They were truly the depiction of their parents.

Needless to say, my hopes of grasping at least some bits of normalcy were crushed.

Why am I always like this? I haven't asked for any of this!

Why do I always act the opposite of how I feel? Why do I always concede to their atrocious demands without putting up a fight?

Why can't nobody understand how I feel?

Why can't anybody sweep me off my feet and save me?

Every day, these questions would repeat in my head, whether I was walking or crying silently in bed. They were associated with how often I was abused or forced to do things I did not enjoy.

All I wanted was for this to be over.

"...Do you know? The Advanced Nurturing High School has opened up its website for admission." One day I was sitting alone in my seat when I happened to overhear the bunch near me talking about something.

Usually, I would rest my head on the table and try to sleep off since they'd usually be boasting about their wicked shit. But this time it looked like a normal conversation, so I listened in.

"Yeah, and I was the first one to sign up." The guy, surrounded by the group of girls, announced proudly.

"Really? You did, Kazuomi-san? That's amazing!" Cheered one of the girls around him.

Hosen Kazuomi is very popular due to his being the son of one of the 'top dogs' in the city. He is rumored to be the strongest minor and has been that way ever since he was so young, and he always boasts about the fights he won and the handful of murders he committed.