Prequel- Chapter 5: Apartment Hunt

Alena Fleur

Elian and my relationship bloomed after we spent the entire night talking at his friend's party. Neither of us realized how hours flew by in what felt like minutes.

Whenever we would see each other on campus, we would catch up with each other to strike up a conversation, almost as if our feet would automatically lead to the other one. I loved his company. It was so much better than chatting online. The light brushes of his hand with mine sent tingles down my spine. The constant smile on his face made warmth spread through my chest. I even found his eye-rolling cute.

Rumor had it that he was a rude and grumpy person, but with me, he was always playful and seemed happy. I had only seen that grumpy side of him when we first met. But even then, he had a soft side inside him. He sat down and listened to me as a random girl told him about her favorite memories of the snow he despised the most. Maybe this gesture was also just for me, but who knows?

I wasn't sure what I expected in the future with him, but at the present, I enjoyed our current relationship. I wouldn't call us friends or say we were seeing each other yet. But there was something about him that I couldn't resist. More like, I didn't want to resist.

Because I liked him.

I had wondered before the party if I was ready to let myself like someone. But I never had the choice, to begin with. It was impossible to not like Elian. He made me feel special in a way no one else had ever made me feel. I didn't care about my promise to my parents. I was old enough to go out with a guy.

Nevertheless, it felt too soon to tell Elian about my feelings. As straightforward and blunt as I was, I didn't want hastiness blowing up on my face. We could take it slow and steady. There was no rush.

"You are going for an apartment hunt today?" Elian asked after I told him the reason we couldn't hang out after classes today.

"Yes," I sighed, exasperated. "I'm tired of my roommates' nuisances."

"Maya had a fight with her boyfriend again, didn't she?" he sounded just as exasperated as if he had suffered the experience with me. "How much did she cry this time?"

"After last night, if she comes crying to me once more, I'll make sure she leaves with crying blood," I declared. "How can a person cry over the same person over and over and still shamelessly go back to that toxic relationship?" I had little to no sleep because of Maya's consistent sobbing over her breakup, while I knew she was going to go back to him the very next day.

Elian laughed at my situation.

I shot him a glare. "What do you find so funny, huh?"

"Just imagining your urge to strangle Maya while comforting her last night."

"And you find it funny?" I hardened my glare on him.

His laughter gave me my response.

"Don't laugh." My warning only made him cackle more. "Elian!" I whined.

"Sorry, I can't help it. You just look so cute with your glare."

Usually, I would get lost in the sound of his laughter, but this time, my nose flared with anger. "I am—my glare is not cute!"

He pressed his palm over his mouth to control his laughter and said, "Sure, sure."

Huffing, I stomped ahead of him after saying, "One day, you will learn to be scared of my glares. Because even the lion is scared of his lioness."