Chapter 37: Understanding

Alena Fleur

"I'm sorry for lashing out yesterday," I apologized genuinely, but none of my parents were looking at me, which was honestly understandable. I acted like a brat last night.

But I needed to speak to them with a calm head and make them see my point of view with hope for a better future.

I took a deep breath and started again, "Mom, Dad, I meant everything I said yesterday, and I'm not going to take them back. However, I should have worded them nicely, instead of acting like an immature child. Maybe they burst out at once because I never had the chance to let them out before. Anyway, those may just sound like excuses, and I don't want that. That's why I hope you will accept my apology because I genuinely feel horrible about it."

Mom was the first to melt as she came over to my side and placed a hand on my shoulder. "We understand, Alena. But you have to understand that whatever we did was because we thought of that as the best for you. We never wanted anything bad for you."

"Yes, Mom, I understand. But... I'm not a little girl anymore. I'm a grown-up, and I need you guys to trust me to lead my life. You guys raised me well, so just have faith in me that I will never do anything that will make you guys ashamed of me," I explained.

"I get it, honey, and I'm so sorry we made you feel so confined with us," Mom said, her eyes starting to get teary.

"It's okay, Mom." I put a hand on hers and gave it a squeeze. "No one is perfect, and neither are you guys or me, that's why I don't blame you guys for anything. I love you both either way."

Mom pulled me into a hug. "Thank you, honey."

I returned her hug and pulled away to look at my dad who hadn't said a word yet.

"Stop being so stone-hearted and come give our daughter a hug," Mom scolded.

"No, before that, I have something else I want to ask," I interrupted, trying to strengthen my resolve. Dad looked at me, and I cleared my throat, "Dad, do you remember my accident from three years ago?"

Both of my parents' eyes went wide.

"Who told you about that?" Dad asked, sounding shocked.

"That's not important. What's important is that I had no idea a few years of my life were missing from my memory. Why did you guys hide that fact from me?" I asked, emotion started to seep into my voice again.

Dad averted his eyes, and so did Mom.

I gathered my courage and asked, "Was it because you found out about my boyfriend from back then?"

Dad was silent for a minute before he sighed and looked me in the eye, "Yes."

"Why?"

"I didn't like him," he admitted curtly.

"Why?" I couldn't comprehend what Elian could have done so wrong from such a brief encounter.

"That boy didn't even bother to inform us about your accident. The hospital had to inform me because I was your legal guardian and needed to sign some forms," Dad said bitterly.

"Dad, he didn't have your number. Not to mention, his brain wasn't functioning at all," I protested immediately, as if I was right there that day.

"Clearly." Dad rolled his eyes. "The boy was covered in your blood, crying by himself on the hospital bench."

My chest tightened at the image that my brain visualized. I felt like inventing a time machine and going in the past to give Elian a hug.

"Didn't... didn't you understand he loved me by seeing that?" I asked, gulping the huge lump that formed in my throat.