Chapter-38: Support System

Alena Fleur

"No, no, it's fine. I'm not busy. I'm just getting off work," I said over the phone.

"So can we gossip now?" Abigail asked.

I laughed shortly and said, "Yes. I'm waiting for Elian to finish his work. Until then, we can gossip."

Shortly after my talk with my parents, I started receiving calls from Abigail again. We patched up somehow. She apologized, and while I didn't completely forgive her, I gave her another chance because she was the closest friend I ever had. After that, I shared everything with her, excluding some details, and as far as I knew, she was doing well with keeping secrets.

"How's your therapy going?" she inquired.

"I have mostly recovered 70% of my memories, but my therapist said that some of my memories are forever lost, and I will likely never remember the incidents that happened directly before the accident."

"Understandable," Abigail hummed. "What about work? Busy as ever?"

"Yep. What about you, Abs?"

"Same. This is the busiest season, you know." She was the manager of the coffee shop her mom owned. "Anyway," her tone got excited, "How are things with Elian?"

A smile formed on my lips at the mention of his name. "Good."

"What good? Give me the details, girl."

I started telling her about Elian and my relationship's endeavors in the last few weeks, like our latest dates, having dinner with his parents last Sunday, visiting his little brother's art exhibition, and how my assistant, Ryatt, caught me sitting on Elian's lap in my chair but good thing he was a good secret-keeper and that's why there had been no rumors yet.

While gossiping with Abigail, I didn't notice the time passing until Abigail reminded me, "Hey, weren't you waiting for Elian's work to finish?"

My eyes widened as I looked at the clock indicating it was past nine.

"Oh, shit. I will call you later." I hung up the call and grabbed my work bag and ran to Elian's cabin. I heaved a sigh in relief when I saw the lights in his cabin were still on, which meant he still hadn't left. Not that I even expected him to leave without informing me in the first place.

I knocked on the door once, and the automatic doors opened up instantly.

"You still haven't left?" he asked, looking up at me with a small smile.

I shook my head and put my bag on the couch, walking over to him. "I got lost while talking to Abs."

"Yeah, I understood that when I called you twice to ask you to leave, only to find you were in another call," he said with a chuckle.

"I wasn't going to leave you to work alone here unless I had some urgent work," I replied and placed my hands on his shoulders from the back to start massaging them.

He relaxed a little and let out an exhausted sigh. "Sorry, you have to be waiting."

"It's okay. I understand the need to finish work," I said, peppering him with light kisses on the side of his face.

He smiled and tilted his head back to ask for a kiss. I leaned down to press my lips to his upside down. "Can you wait just a little longer? I need to finish looking through these two contracts and mail them to the foreign clients before eleven tonight."

"Sure, take your time. I'm right here." I continued massaging his shoulders as he started studying through the contracts.

I noticed his phone vibrating on his desk with a call from Eltan.