Chapter 19: Acceptance

Alena Fleur

How could I like Elian? He was a freaking murderer! He was a mafia leader! He was my rude boss!

No way, it was absolutely impossible.

My heart definitely didn't flutter when he handed me my espresso every morning. It most definitely didn't race whenever we were alone and he was close to me. It surely also didn't skip a beat when he smiled. I obviously didn't ogle his body when he worked out in the gym. I certainly didn't stare at his lips in the middle of conversations. I clearly didn't want him to stay longer with me anytime we had to part.

Those were just delusions my periods caused.

Now, after five days, my periods were over, and I wasn't going to care a single bit about Elian—

"Ouch!"

I ran to the kitchen to find Elian hissing in pain. "What happened?"

"I touched the bowl without wearing gloves," he said, motioning at the microwave where he was supposed to be heating up our lunch.

"You're only clumsy when you're stressed out, so tell me, Elian, what's wrong?" I asked while walking over to the most corner cabinet of the kitchen where there was a first-aid kit.

"Wait, how do you know about that?" Elian asked, looking at me in surprise.

Seriously, how did I know that?

"Wild guess," I shrugged. "Now, stop avoiding my question. Answer me." I took out the burn cream from the kit and walked over to Elian.

I grabbed his hand and looked at his two red fingers. I applied the cream to it while feeling bad for his pain.

"So are you going to talk or not?" I urged.

As he didn't reply again, I didn't question again.

See, how could I like this man? He suppressed his suffering and avoided important questions? He was infuriating! I clearly couldn't like him.

###

Later that evening, I was watching a movie being bored in the living room while sneaking peeks at Elian's room door.

Finally, I had had enough and grabbed a random novel from the coffee table before going to knock on his door. I heard some shuffling from the other side.

As soon as Elian opened the door, I pushed him to the side and strutted over to his bed. I plopped down on the bed, resting my back against the headboard, and opened the novel I brought along.

"Um, excuse me?" Elian called out, but I paid him no attention. "Alena, in case you forgot, this is my room."

"In case you forgot, you once barged into my room as well," I retorted.

"That was a crisis situation, so what crisis do you have, Ms. Fleur?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"My crisis is that I'm bored."

"And so?"

"So, entertain me." I crossed my legs and looked around the room. My eyes lit up at the sight of a purple Polaroid camera on top of a cabinet. I immediately ran to it and picked it up in my hand. "Wow, you have a Polaroid camera?"

"Can't I?"

"No, it just doesn't suit your taste. I picture you more as the type with a DSLR," I honestly said and raised the camera to my eye level, capturing Elian rolling his eyes.