Prequel- Chapter 13: Hidden Truth

Alena Fleur

As time passed by quickly, the minutes blended into hours, the days slipped through my fingers, and before I realized it, weeks turned into months, and months transformed into years.

Finally, it was here.

My graduation.

It felt as though it was just a few days ago when Elian graduated, but before I knew it, it was already my time to graduate.

These past two and a half years we spent with each other was an enchanting experience that filled my heart with lasting memories of joy and love. I never wanted to forget these wonderful times.

I was smiling through my university album when my phone rang.

"Good morning, Mom."

"Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well at Sara's place?"

"Yes, I did."

My parents were in town for my graduation ceremony, and they had been staying over at my place. I was sleeping on my couch for the last two days, but I wanted to get proper rest before the ceremony, so I lied about crashing at Sara's place for the night since I couldn't exactly give them a heart attack by saying I could stay over at my boyfriend's place.

But no lies after today.

I was going to introduce Elian to them.

At this point, I didn't care if they didn't accept our relationship. I didn't need their approval.

Though I really hoped everything would become okay one day between us. Because at the end of the day, no matter how backdated and overprotective, they were still my parents.

"... Yes, yes, I will meet up with you guys at the gate, promise," I told my mom.

"Okay, then. Be careful on your way."

Once I finished the conversation with Mom, I closed the album and got off the bed to start getting ready.

Elian didn't get back last night, but he told me I could stay over. He was pulling an all-nighter at the office so that he could make time for me today. He should be back in some time.

I was about to head into the walk-in closet when I noticed a lot of scattered papers on Elian's desk.

I instinctively started gathering them into a neat bundle and noticed a coffee-stained paper. I opened the lid of the dustbin to throw the paper in when a bunch of crumpled papers inside caught my eye.

My name was on one of those papers.

I picked it out of the dustbin and ironed the paper to find many things written on it.

A smile spread on my lips as I read the first few lines.

'Alena,
Congratulations on your graduation. I cannot express how proud I am of you. I mean, you are not just graduating, babe, you are graduating at the top of your class! That's such a huge deal. On top of that, you managed to pull that off while maintaining your part-time job and me—me who needs your attention constantly.'

Oh, my God, was he practicing what to say to me through writing? He was so cute!

'Even though I am not sorry for being so clingy, there is something else I have to apologize for.

Maybe you won't ever forgive me. I lied to you from the beginning, after all. For that, I am so sorry—'

My smile dropped at that.