Prequel- Chapter 11: For Him

Alena Fleur

I stayed quiet as Elian vented out his anger.

I stayed quiet as he confessed he loved me.

I stayed quiet as he walked out on me, shutting the door in my face.

I wanted to stop him, but my muscles wouldn't move. I became numb. He had always made me speechless, but never in this way. My chest had never hurt like this before.

My legs gave up, and I plopped down on the edge of his bed, tears stinging my eyes.

"What should I do? Wha–what should I do?" I asked myself, my voice choking up. "What if... what if he never comes back?"

I buried my face in my hands, full on sobbing now. I couldn't picture a future without him in it; it was too painful.

I never meant to neglect him. I never wanted to hurt him. I just... I didn't know when I became so greedy as to want everything for myself.

Why did I think that Elian would stay no matter what? Why did I think it was okay to cancel plans with him to prioritize the other things in my life? Why did I become so stupid to think that our relationship would last if I didn't nurture it?

I fucked up so bad.

Wanting to maintain a good relationship with my parents and having Elian in my life at the same time, I worked so hard so that my parents could never complain that having a boyfriend downgraded me. When I became a woman having a successful career, I proudly wanted to tell them that Elian was always my support system and that he always inspired me to do better. That was the plan, though.

But now, I wasn't even sure if I would have Elian when I became successful in life.

I wanted them to think good of him, but I ended up pushing that very person away. I even stopped communicating with him. No wonder why he thought I prioritized everything else over him.

Little did he know everything I did was for him. So that I could become someone capable to stand by his side.

Sure, I was always ambitious. But after meeting him, I wanted to do even better. I wouldn't be satisfied with just a well-paying nine-to-five job anymore. I wanted to work in his company in a high post. In that way, when we got married, no one would ever be able to say he deserved better.

Wait...

When did I start thinking that way?

When did Elian become so important that I started to plan out my life centering him? When did the casual relationship I was looking for become something I wanted to last my entire life?

I never thought about love. He said he loved me, and I couldn't say it back because it didn't occur to me until now.

But of course, I loved him. I was such an idiot.

"I can't lose him, no matter what. I have to stop him from leaving me. I have to tell him that I will prove how much I love him," I mumbled to myself while making my resolve.

I harshly wiped my tears and stood up to go after him.

Just as I opened the bedroom door, I came face to face with Elian.

I flinched a little in surprise, but he instantly pulled me into a hug.

"Sorry. I'm so sorry for losing my temper. I didn't mean a thing I said. I hurt your feelings. I'm such an idiot. Please forgive me, Alena. I promise I will do better," he desperately said, and my heart clenched, hearing the pain in his voice. It was clear that he didn't organize his thoughts and just ran back to apologize.

It was obvious how much he cherished our relationship. How could I afford to lose someone like that?

I hugged him back. "No, please, I'm the one who should be sorry."

"No, Alena, I should apologize. I promised that I will always support you, yet I got selfish and started sulking for your attention and said all that crap."

"You sulked for attention because you were lonely, and it's true that I made you feel that way."

When I recently moved into my new apartment, I was lonely, and Elian was the one who kept me company. Yet, here I was, making him feel the same way I didn't want to feel.

"Alena, I—"

"Please, baby, let me talk now." He became quiet after that. "First of all, I'm sorry for everything. Let's talk more about your feelings in bed tonight. I promise I will hear you out and be sure to keep them in mind from now on. Secondly, we will go on a date tomorrow to refresh ourselves. Even though I didn't look like it, I have been dying for one."

"But you have your flight tomorrow," he interrupted.

"I won't go. I will postpone it." I looked up from his chest into his eyes and placed a hand on his cheek, smiling faintly. "I want to spend time with you. I will show you that you matter to me—more than anything else."

He seemed like he wanted to say something, but he decided to stay silent.

"Lastly but most importantly, I love you too."

His eyes widened as if he couldn't believe I said it.

I smiled at his surprise and rose on my tiptoes to give him a chaste kiss.

"Yes, I love you, Elian."

A big smile bloomed on his face as he hugged me once again, this time so tightly that my feet were no longer touching the floor. Meanwhile, my heart rested at ease, now assured that we would do fine, come what may.

###

"Babe, I think you should go tomorrow," Elian mumbled.

I raised my head from his chest and shot him a glare. "No, I'm not going."

We were currently lying in bed naked, wrapped in each others' arms under the sheets.

He sighed, playing with my fingers. "I don't want to be the reason for a rift between your parents. Plus, I think I just got a little greedy. I mean, I get to have you for most of the year, and it should be enough for me to just be able to sleep and wake up with you. On the other hand, your parents don't get to see you for such a long time and you're their only daughter—"

"Who are you?" I sat up with a poker face. "My Elian doesn't talk like this."

He chuckled lightly. "The one time I try to sound nice, you won't let me have it."

"Of course, because this isn't you. My Elian is obsessed with me. He doesn't want to share me with anyone, not even if it's my parents," I exaggerated dramatically.

"Way to make me sound great." He rolled his eyes.

"But nevertheless," I kissed his forehead, "I fell in love with him, knowing all that about him."

His lips parted as if there was something he wanted to tell me, his eyes averting away from me like he was guilty.

But I continued smiling, knowing there was a secret he kept hidden from me. I wasn't stupid, after all. He thought his blunt lies escaped my eyes, but baby, I was sharper than that.

However, I didn't pry into it. I was going to wait for him to tell it to me himself.

"I'm full of flaws, aren't I?" he murmured, sounding sad.

"Yes, you are. But I love you either way." I didn't realize it until now, but now I knew that I would love him till my last breath. Even if I were to be reborn, I wanted to fall in love with this same person over and over again. There wasn't anything I wanted as much as him. "So that's why I'm staying tomorrow with you."

He ended up tackling me and getting on top of me with a smirk. "Well, in that case, what do you think of spending the day in bed with me?"

"Wasn't the entire point of our argument that we only ever spend time in bed and not anywhere else?" I teased, even though I loved his idea as well.

"Who cares? As long as I'm with you, I'm happy." With that, he attacked my neck.

Me too, baby.