Prequel- Chapter 1: Our First Snowy Meeting

Alena Fleur

I turned over a page leisurely, engrossed in the book I was reading. It was quieter than usual in the library, with only the occasional grumbles among the few students at failing to get a ticket to go home this winter vacation.

However, that wasn't my case.

I had successfully secured a ticket to Georgia, my hometown, but the flight was tomorrow morning, and right now, I was just spending time in the university library as my roommates should be hustling inside our room to pack their luggage at the last minute. The last thing I wanted was to get caught up in their mess since my things were already neatly packed. I would much rather spend that time burying my nose in a good novel.

"Hey, Al! How long will you be here?" Sara, a friend of mine, called out from the library doorway, rather loudly, receiving a scornful hiss from the librarian. She gave him a sheepish apologetic look and rushed over to me.

I gave her a smile and replied to her question, "Just until all my roommates leave."

"No, that's not what I mean." She shook her head vehemently, her eyes twinkling with excitement. "Have you looked outside?"

"Why? Is there something going—" my words froze in my mouth when my eyes fell on the white flakes slowly falling outside the window. For a moment, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. "Is it—"

"Yes!" Sara affirmed excitedly, earning another hiss from the librarian, but she didn't care at that moment. "It's snowing!"

"But you guys told me it doesn't snow here," I murmured in disbelief.

"Yes, and I believe you are the miracle who caused it. What are the odds that it snows right after you wished for it?"

Just today, after our last class of the autumn quarter, my friends and I were talking about the lack of snow at Stanford and how much I missed the snow. It didn't snow much back at home, either. At least we would get at least a few inches of snow every year, but even that was a rare occasion here. So I had dramatically folded my hand in front of my friends and wished for snowfall today, and very surprisingly, it came true.

"Oh, my God, it's really snowing!" I let out a squeal and stood up from my chair.

My excitement was doubled by the fact that last year when I went home, it didn't snow at that time.

Therefore, my heart had been yearning to experience some snowfall for almost two years now. And finally, it was here.

"Let's go outside, Sara!" I exclaimed.

"Will you girls keep it down?" the librarian finally voiced his annoyance at us, but the two of us paid no heed.

Sara shook her head sadly. "I need to turn in the assignment to Mr. Collins before I go home. I still have some work left on it. But when I noticed the snowfall, I thought I would let you know."

I grinned. "Thanks, Sara. Good luck with your assignment! I'll be back to check up on you!" With that, I ran out of the library like an excited little girl.

As soon as I stepped outside the campus, I noticed the late afternoon sky was covered with grayness while snowflakes descended gracefully from the clouds. I breathed, filling my lungs with the cold air.