Chapter 3: A Threat

Chapter 3: A Threat

Alena Fleur

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

For a moment, I wondered if I was hallucinating due to a lack of sleep. But the next moment, when many pairs of eyes snapped in my direction, I realized it was very, very real.

I did the first thing my mind suggested, and that was run for your life!

I turned around and started to run with all my strength. But no sooner had I taken five steps than I was pulled back by many arms and was forced to kneel down by the men who caught me.

I winced as my bare knee scraped against the concrete, and my hands were locked behind my back.

God, this was it. I was going to die now. I never thought I was going to die like this. Not to mention, I was still so young and all. All because I saw my boss murder someone.

I didn't know I had started crying until I tasted the saltiness on the corner of my lips. But nothing compared to the fear I felt when a cold muzzle rested against the side of my forehead.

I closed my eyes, preparing to die. I replayed a few precious moments with my mom, dad, best friend, and there was this another person whose face was distorted—

"Get the hell away from her!"

My eyes jolted open at the shout, only to meet the furious green eyes of Elian, who was glaring at the men surrounding me.

"But Boss, she saw—"

"I don't give a damn! Just get your hands off her!" he yelled at the men, and I shuddered in fear.

I had seen Elian yell before. After all, he was known to have a bad temper. But not like this. This Elian was different. He was dangerous. He wasn't physically harmless. He had a freaking gun in his hand!

"Boss, it's risky to let her go. She saw us kill. She will tell the cops—"

"Don't make me repeat." The lethal glare he shot his men made all of them back off.

Now, I was just kneeling on the ground by myself, my heart beating louder than ever.

What the hell did I just see? And why did I see it?

Elian was cruel, but never in a million years did I imagine he would be an actual killer. What the hell was he, anyway? Was he a serial killer? Or someone who eliminated his business rivals? Or in the Mafia? If he was, then why did he do armament business?

Plenty of questions were roaming in my mind. I wasn't sure what to do or how to react. This was the biggest shock I had ever gotten in my life.

And oh, God, I worked under this murderer for two years. To think I had coffee with this heartless man a couple of hours ago—

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice Elian approaching me until he was kneeling right before me.

"Are you okay—" He was about to touch my upper arm, but I slapped it away instantly.

"Don't touch me! Stay away!" I yelled at him.

A hurt look appeared on his face, but I couldn't care less.

My eyes flickered to the gun still in his hand, and as he was about to raise it, I covered my face with my shivering hand and mumbled, "Please don't shoot me. I swear, I—I... I am sorry, Mr. Storm. I am really sorry. I shouldn't— I shouldn't have seen that."

Why did I have to see it? What Elian did, apart from the official work, was none of my business. I was supposed to stay professional. Then, how could I interrupt his personal life?