Chapter 16: Split Personality

Alena Fleur

"Damn, there's nothing in them," said Jace Quentin, another of Elian's best friends and consigliere of his gang.

"You mean, everything has been deleted?" I asked dreadfully.

Jace nodded. He was called here to crack the new passwords of Elian and my laptops. He was successful, of course, but our laptops were completely clean. There was not a single file or document.

All my hard work and saved files were now... gone. I hoped whoever did this hit their pinky toe on the table corner many times.

"Can't you retrieve them?" Elian asked.

"I will try, but it might take some time," Jace replied.

"Good luck," Ashton mumbled, cleaning up the dishes from our dinner. He had ended up not only making lunch for us but also dinner because Elian and I were both incompetent in the cooking division.

"Ashton, don't do the dishes. It's Elian's turn tonight," I hollered as Ashton put the dishes in the sink.

"It's fine. Ash is happy to do it for me," Elian responded, and I shot him a death glare. He sighed and grumbled, "Fine, I will do it later."

"No, you will do it right now," I said sternly.

He rolled his eyes and left Jace's side to go to the kitchen to start washing the dishes.

I sat down beside Jace and asked, "So how long have you known Elian, Jace?"

"Since childhood," Jace answered curtly.

He was a little more uptight than Ashton, with whom I had chatted the whole evening while Jace and Elian were focused on the laptops.

"I see. I have always been interested in hacking. Can you teach me something?" I asked.

"Don't, Jace. If she learns hacking, the first thing she will do is hack into my electronics to increase my workload and decrease hers," Elian protested from the kitchen.

"I will never do that!" I exclaimed innocently.

"Oh, you would," he replied.

I was about to open my mouth to retort, but Ashton spoke up, "As much fun as it is to watch a lovers' quarrel, it's getting late, so I think Jace and I will take our leaves now."

"Aww, you're leaving now, Ashton?" I asked sadly. "I'm going to get bored with Elian. He doesn't talk." I could see Elian scoffing from the kitchen.

"I will come again some other time, Alena. Now, we need to go back to the base," Ashton said with a smile.

I bonded so well with Ashton in such a short time, he was already a good friend of mine. It was like I had known him forever. Jace seemed nice as well, though he seemed to be trying to maintain distance from me.

After Ashton and Jace left, I sauntered over to the kitchen to poke Elian. He was almost done with the dishes.

"Elian, scrub the glasses nicely," I told him wisely.

He ignored that and said, "So you're going to get bored with me?"

"Yes, of course. It's not like you're my friend or boyfriend. I can't just chat with you about life," I shrugged.

I was expecting Elian to say that we could be or something, but he only hummed. I meant for it to be a joke because I never had a boring moment with him—yes, there were terrifying ones, but not boring.