Chapter 36: Let It Out

Alena Fleur

"What?" Elian asked, his eyes wide.

"Shit, shit, shit," I cursed under my breath and ran to Elian. "I'm sorry, but you need to hide right now."

He didn't even ask why, just asked, "Where?"

I looked around my nicely furnished one-bedroom apartment and said, "My bedroom. Go, go." I started pushing him towards the door, panicking.

"Okay, okay, I'm going. Calm down."

Before he closed the bedroom door, I said, "I'm so, so sorry, Elian."

"It's fine," he said and shut the door.

I took a big breath and went to get to the door until I noticed Elian's shoes at the entrance. I quickly hid them in an empty box of heels and put it in the cabinet.

I plastered a smile on my face and opened the door. "Hey, Mom and Dad. What a surprise!" I feigned excitement.

"Hey, sweetie. How have you been?" Mom gave me a hug, then Dad.

"I have been great. What about you guys? Weren't you supposed to come this weekend?"

"Can't I take some time off work to come to see my only daughter who rarely visits home?" Dad asked, smiling at me.

I chuckled nervously and welcomed them in. "Still, you could have informed me beforehand."

"So that you could clean your apartment beforehand?" Mom asked, putting a finger across the shoe cabinet and wrinkling her nose in disgust. "Why's there so much dust in your apartment, Alena?"

Just great.

"Oh, Mom, it's been a crazy week—"

Mom interrupted, "The last weekend was just two days ago."

"Yes, and I had to work even on weekends."

"Aww, my poor daughter. Your boss is so cruel," Mom crooned and gave me another hug.

God, I hope Elian isn't eavesdropping.

"He's not. It's just that our company was closed off for weeks, so there's been so much pending work. We needed to get it done," I explained. "I'm gonna put your luggage in my room."

As soon as I said that, I realized the problem that lay ahead.

Whenever my mom and dad came here, I let them stay in my bedroom while I slept on the couch. But now, how the hell was I going to get Elian out of my bedroom before bedtime? Shit, I should have just shoved him in the fridge or something.

Alena, you're a horrible girlfriend, my subconscious scolded.

I dragged my parents' luggage to my room and opened the door. I found Elian laying in the bed, his suit discarded on my desk chair, and comfortably reading a book he must have got from my shelf.

I closed the door behind me and locked it. "Well, someone just made himself comfortable."

"Yep. Needed some time-pass," Elian said, sitting up straight. "So when are they going back to the hotel?"

I gave him a sheepish, apologetic look and said, "They are staying here."

"What do you mean?" He gave me a horrified look.

"They don't like to waste money on hotels when they can just stay with me."

He looked at me in disbelief. "What about me? How am I going to get out of here? Jumping from the fifth floor doesn't sound very safe to me."