Chapter 1: Miserable Life

Alena Fleur

My life was miserable.

I thought my life would be perfect once I got promoted and got my dream job. But boy, was I wrong. Now I know why the previous COO left his job. The paycheck was nice, but not the CEO.

The entire floor had a waiting lounge, a reception where an assistant was present, and a familiar cabin of my boss, Elian Storm.

"Sir can meet you now, Ms. Fleur," said Elian's assistant, Rowan Dansen after I waited for ten minutes.

I gave him a curt nod and walked straight to Elian's cabin, letting my stilettos stomp after me. The sensor glass door opened automatically.

Sucking in a deep breath to calm my temper, I went inside.

Elian was leaning back against his chair, while his eyes were glued to the screen of his laptop.

"Good morning, Mr. Storm," I greeted in a professional tone.

Elian instantly looked up at me. "Good morning, Ms. Fleur." He got up from his chair to walk towards his coffee machine while I remained standing at one spot. "It's been a week since you have been promoted. However, unfortunately, you have not yet managed to bag the deal with Drake Firearms."

I was offended by his words. I had been working in Storm Dynamics, one of the best armament companies in the country, for two years. But I had only been an unnoticeable employee who was climbing the ranks slowly until a week ago.

"I hope you are not doubting my ability, Mr. Storm," I said, remaining polite.

Elian shook his head. "No, I am doubting my choice, Ms. Fleur."

"Well, then, let me clear your doubts," I said confidently, looking straight into his green eyes.

"Trust me, nothing would make me happier."

I cleared my throat and presented, "Here's the contract Mr. Drake sent me back this morning, Mr. Storm." I handed him a gray-colored file and went back to standing four feet away from him. "You can see, he agreed to our conditions and is ready to do business with us for the next three years."

He furrowed his brows in confusion. "How can this be possible? When we talked yesterday over the phone, he was still adamant about not agreeing to this deal—"

"But that was yesterday. It's a new day now, and Mr. Drake has agreed to the deal. You don't have to worry about how that came to be possible. You just sign the papers, and I will send it to our contract manager to finalize it."

"If you had already bagged the deal, did you have to wait until late afternoon to let me know?"

"Because I wanted to let you know that I have prepared the first shipment they asked for and it will be delivered to them this evening."

He looked at me in surprise. "I thought that was impossible to arrange in such a short time."

"Yes, that's why I divided the order into two parts to make it possible."

"You had this plan in your head all this time and didn't tell me?" he asked.

"You never asked. Plus, I thought it would be a nice surprise for you."

A small smile took over his lips all of a sudden. "Of course, I should have known. You saved the best news for the last."

I was confused by his words. Indeed, I always kept the best for the last. But that was something he shouldn't know. Or, maybe he assessed me too well during my promotion interview.