Chapter 7: Shooting Practice

Alena Fleur

"But why?" I couldn't help but ask Elian.

"Because you said you need something for protection," he simply said.

"But didn't you say afterward that you were going to keep me safe?" I asked.

"Let's be realistic here, Ms. Fleur. Even if I try my best and stick with you 24/7, which I know you won't like at all, I can't always protect you. Sometimes, you need to be your own savior. And for that, you need a weapon, no matter how good you are at self-defense," he explained.

"Wait, how do you know I'm good at self-defense?" I questioned.

"That's all you got from my speech?" he let out dryly.

"No, I understood what you meant. But how do you know—"

"I don't know. I was just saying hypothetically," he clarified.

It was still strange, but I nodded my head in understanding nonetheless.

"So now, can we go? We have to be back soon," Elian urged, walking towards the door, but I remained intact in my place. "What's wrong?"

"How do I know you are not taking me somewhere quiet to kill me off?" I blurted out.

"If I wanted you dead, I could shoot you right now and no one will still never know a thing," he sharply said.

Little did he know I told Anya to call my mom if I didn't come back in an hour, and I wasn't about to let him know.

"It makes sense, but..." I trailed off.

"You are scared of me, aren't you?" Elian interjected.

Was I scared of a cold-blooded murderer? Nope. Absolutely not. Why would anyone be scared of him?

Since I couldn't actually say that aloud, I stayed quiet.

Elian sighed and walked up to me. He stood right in front of me as he said, "Ms. Fleur, I'm not going to hurt you."

"But why won't you?"

"Why, do you want me to?"

"No, I mean, you have no reason to not hurt me. I'm just the new COO of your company. You can easily find another one. You don't need me. Nothing should stop you from killing me," I let out honestly.

"You're a valuable employee of Storm Dynamics, Ms. Fleur, and no one can replace you. For the past two years, you have worked hard for this company, and you have worked even harder ever since you became the COO. That's why I don't want to lose you."

I arched an eyebrow as his voice got uncharacteristically soft at the last sentence, but he completely ignored that. "You might just be bluffing right now."

"Ms. Fleur, you can trust me—"

"That's what a serial killer says to his victims before slicing their throats open or what a butcher says to the animals before sacrificing them," I mumbled.

Elian let out a frustrated sigh and placed his hands on my upper arms. "Trust me I won't hurt you—cross my heart," he said sincerely.

Sharp pain, similar to yesterday, shot up through my head as a contorted voice rang in my ears,

"I'm always going to take care of you—cross my heart."

"I won't do that ever again—cross my heart."

"Cross my heart—"

A jerk to my shoulders snapped me out of that trance, and I found myself staring at concerned green eyes.