Chapter 17: Like Home

Alena Fleur

I opened my eyes to the familiar black ceiling. My head was throbbing, so I tried to reach out my hand to massage my forehead, only to feel a weight on it.

I glanced down to find Elian holding onto my hand while he talked over the phone in whispers.

"—I don't want to take any risks, Dr. Hopkins. She is—" Elian paused when he realized I was awake. "I will call you later. She's awake." He put down his phone and brought his face to hover over me. "How do you feel right now, Alena?"

I tried to get up, and he helped me. "Get up slowly," he instructed.

When I was sitting up, I said, "I feel okay now."

"What happened? Did your blood pressure drop or something?" Elian inquired.

"I don't know. Did I faint in the gym?" I asked.

He nodded and asked, "Do you remember what happened?"

I tried to recall, but I just remembered walking away from Elian at the ab crunch machine. "I don't remember."

"Nothing at all?" I shook my head. "Nothing that woman said?"

"What woman?" I asked.

"No one. But if you do remember, just know that she's a crazy lady. She may seem normal, but she speaks nonsense. Don't pay any mind to her."

I only gave him a perplexed look in response.

"You should take some rest now. I will get you your breakfast," Elian said and got up, letting go of my hand.

I looked around the room and realized Elian must have carried me here all the way from the gym. I smiled at the thought.

Elian came back a couple of minutes later with a tray in his hand. "Lance made you a special breakfast," he announced.

"What is it?" I asked excitedly, but my excitement soon deflated when I saw what the contents actually were. "What the hell is this crap?"

"Whole-grain porridge with berries. It's very healthy," Elian advertised, and I shot him a death glare.

"Where is Lance? He made this, right? Call him here. I want to throw this at his face. People eat this crap? How?" I exclaimed.

"As fun as it would be to call Lance here and watch you throw this at his face, he already left for the airport," Elian said regretfully.

"What do you mean he left for the airport?"

"Did you forget he was only here until this weekend?" he reminded, and my nose flared in anger.

"How dare he leave without seeing me once? He didn't even mention it when I saw him the morning before heading down to the gym."

"It's nothing new. He always does that," Elian shrugged.

I took my phone from the nightstand and asked Elian, "Type Lance's number."

"Why?"

"Just do it," I ordered.

When he did, I instantly called Lance.

"Hello—"

I didn't give Lance the chance to speak as I started scolding, "How dare you leave without informing me once?"

"Who is it?" Lance asked, and I wanted to strangle him. I swear these two brothers were impossible!

"It's me, Alena! Did you already forget my voice?"