Prequel- Chapter 7: Heart Strings

Alena Fleur

The moving day finally came. It was the first day of February—the first day I would live alone.

The days leading up to here had been torture because I hated packing. But I comforted myself with the dreams of the end result.

My roommates had kindly offered me help, but I humbly denied it. I didn't have too many things to bring anyway. I just accepted Tiara and Sara's help. They were the ones I hung around the most during classes—also the ones who teased me the most about Elian.

"Al, why didn't Elian come?" Sara whined.

"So that you could tease him? No way in hell," I told her, opening a carton of my books and keeping the books in their place on the shelf.

"Does it even matter? He's into you. I doubt he gets flustered easily," Tiara commented from the kitchen where she was putting the newly-bought supplies and groceries in place.

"He has some work. He said he will drop by later on if he can," I said.

"Then I'm staying the night here," Sara declared.

"You're the first one I'm kicking out as soon as you're done setting up the kitchen," I threatened.

"Noooo," she fake-sobbed.

I rolled my eyes and continued doing my job.

After a couple of hours, we were done organizing the apartment. There wasn't much space to organize, to begin with. But it was good to be done.

Just then, the calling bell rang.

"Maybe it's Elian," Sara said hopefully.

"No, it's the pizza Elian sent for us," I said, rolling my eyes, and went to get the door.

"Girl, ask him out! What are you waiting for?" Sara gushed.

"She will, she will. She is just waiting for the right opportunity," Tiara said. "But hey, Valentine's week is coming."

I took the pizza boxes and thanked the delivery man before closing the door and turning back to my friends.

"You guys don't have to worry about all that. I'll do it when I feel like it. Just enjoy the pizza for now." I dropped the pizza boxes on the kitchen counter and grabbed my phone to send a thank you sticker to Elian. He insisted on sending it as he couldn't come himself to help.

My friends and I enjoyed the pizza and chatted till around four, then I ushered them out to go home before it was dark. I even reminded them to text me when they got home.

Closing the door after them, I looked around my little home and smiled.

But along with it came loneliness. I had never lived alone before. Nor was I used to eating alone. Did I even make the right choice?

I shook my head instantly to get rid of the doubts. It was important to learn to be independent.

I decided to unpack the luggage of my clothes. I was happily arranging my clothes in the closet, but occasionally, I would look around and loneliness would creep in.

Suddenly, I wished I hadn't taken the entire day off from my part-time job. Maybe after being done with the clothes, I should get some studying done.

I was sitting at my study table unable to concentrate when the calling bell rang and my heart jumped with happiness.

I literally ran to open the door, and after I saw the person on the doorsteps, I felt like throwing myself in his arms. But I held myself back and instead whine, "What took you so long?"