Chapter 9: Déjá Vu

Chapter 9: Déjá Vu

Alena Fleur

It was finally the day before the weekend. I couldn't wait for the day to end so that I could hit the bed and sleep for two days straight.

After all that I went through this week, I wanted nothing more than to sleep it off and start afresh.

Things were going okay with Elian as well. I tried to forget whatever happened that night, and now, I was successfully pretending it never happened. He was my boss, and nothing else.

Right now, the two of us were at the manufacturing facility of Storm Dynamics. It was always me who came to check up on the finished products, but this time, God knows what Elian was thinking, he tagged along.

It was an important project. We were sending firearms to the military, so a little mishap could mean our company could be shut down for eternity.

I was doing rounds when I noticed a worker taking a box full of rifles in the wrong direction.

"Hey, aren't they all supposed to load the boxes in the truck?" I asked Mr. Jeremy, who was in charge here.

"Oh, that's right. Where is that idiot going?" Mr. Jeremy rushed to get the worker back in the right direction.

I turned back to Elian, who was talking on the phone, and sighed. It was boring to monitor these things. I would rather be sitting behind my desk and sorting out files.

However, I didn't know why but I felt like something was off. So I decided to make a video around the facility.

I was clicking a photo of the firearms register when someone said, "Ma'am, you're not allowed to take photos in here."

"Oh, don't worry. It's for work purposes," I told the man.

"Even so, I have to ask you to delete those photos and videos," he asked, his voice holding a little edge.

I checked his nameplate and said with a smile, "Mr. Witkers, I'm from the company. I'm not going to expose our company's secrets—"

"Ma'am, it's still strictly prohibited," he repeated.

"Fine," I sighed. I deleted them, knowing that they would still remain in my backup. "See? Done." I showed him my phone screen.

"Delete the ones in your backup as well," he said.

I frowned. "Mr. Witkers—"

"What's going on?" Elian asked, walking up to us, his boss-aura stronger than ever.

Mr. Witkers straightened up and said, "Sir, I was just asking Ma'am to delete the photos and videos she took, but she's not agreeing."

"So?" Elian let out with disinterest.

"It's not allowed, Sir—"

"I know. But she's the COO. She can do whatever she wants," Elian said, glaring at Mr. Witkers and daring him to say anything further.

"Sorry, Sir and Ma'am." With that, the worker went away.

"Well, that was strange," I commented.

"No, you're strange. What are you doing? You know, it's strictly against the rules to click photos in here," Elian scolded.

He just defended me, and now, he was scolding me? What was with him?

"I know, I know. I just have a bad feeling," I murmured.

"About?" he asked curiously.

"I have no idea. But why are you so interested?" I arched my eyebrow.

"You seem the type whose gut feelings are often right," he said with a shrug.