Chapter 21: The Truth

Alena Fleur

I blanked out for a long moment before I realized I had to say something.

But my voice wouldn't come out like there was a big lump stuck in my throat, and my eyes were stinging like if I looked at Elian once more I would cry.

Speak, Alena! Or move! Do something, at least! Don't be pathetic!

I force myself up from the chair and turn around, managed to say, "Yes, um, I, uh, I get it. I'm sorry."

"Alena," Elian murmured, his voice giving away that he had something more to say. But I didn't want to listen right and made my way straight for the main door.

I wasn't in the best mood to stay in a room that used to belong to the person who just rejected me or stay under the same roof as him at the moment. I decided to let my feet guide me somewhere far away from him.

Once I stepped outside the apartment complex, my tears started falling freely.

I knew that Elian had every right to reject me, especially when he didn't return my feelings, but it still hurt. And I knew it was going to hurt. Just not this much.

It was like someone was ripping my heart open or running a bulldozer over it.

I walked around aimlessly until I reached a small café. I decided to go in and sit down. It was a cozy, warm café—just the kind I liked. There was a photo booth in the corner, and a big portion of the wall was covered with photos.

I was surprised I never came here, given that it was in close quarters to my university campus.

"What can I get you, Ma'am?" the waitress asked with a warm smile.

"A cup of hot chocolate, please," I said, and she noted it down before going away.

I looked through the cute couple photos on the wall and felt like crying. I wished for Elian and me to be like that, but God, I was so stupid.

Of course, Elian was still hung up on that girl. He still kept her things for God's sake! Even if he did like me, it would just be a rebound.

But still, wasn't I pretty enough to be someone's rebound at least? Was I that ugly? Or was my personality that annoying?

My eyes blurred with tears again. I buried my face in my hands because I didn't want other people in the café to see me cry.

"Ma'am, your hot chocolate," the waitress said, placing the mug on my table. I gave her a nod. "Ma'am, our café is known to make people feel better if they are feeling blue. If you're feeling the same, you should read that board over there in the corner. It might help." With that, she went away.

I wiped my tears with my hands and looked around the corners to find the board the waitress was talking about. When I found it, I got up from my chair and went over to see it.

The big board was labeled "One Thing I'm Grateful For Today" and it had notes stuck on it. There were many old and new notes on it. A smile formed on my lips as I read through them. There were so many little mundane things people were grateful for in their everyday lives, such as being alive, submitting an assignment on time, taking their dog to walk in the park, getting to watch a movie, and so much more. But one of them stuck out to me.

"I'm grateful that Elian and I are together. I never want to be separated from him."

Was this something Elian's kinda-girlfriend wrote? But the handwriting looked awfully like mine. Oh, well, not like my handwriting was too unique.