Chapter 40: Forever

Chapter 40: Forever

Alena Fleur

"See, this feels like home! What was this before, a dungeon?" I asked, looking around Elian's renovated room with pride.

"Uh-huh," Elian responded.

I looked up at him and asked him a little nervously, "You like this, don't you?" I didn't want to completely rule everything, so I wanted to give an equal opinion. Since he didn't have any, I just kept his favorite color as the theme.

"Of course. Decors have always been your forte. I suck at them."

I smiled, then headed towards the walk-in closet. He trailed behind as we both checked it out. It had already been big enough, but it had been too spaced out, and now the void space was decreased to make space for my belongings.

"It's perfect," I let out, and he nodded in agreement.

"We should start getting ready now," he reminded me as we had to attend the Christmas party at his parents' place.

I felt a little sad because I wasn't on the best terms with my dad, ever since I broke the news that I was moving in with Elian. I thought of hiding the fact completely from my parents, but I never wanted to hide anything important from them, which would, later on, result in regret—even if it put the present in jeopardy. But I knew Dad would come around. At least, at the announcement of our wedding.

But no, Elian hadn't yet proposed. Unfortunately. Though I wished he would.

We had only moved in together three months ago. But we had no time in those few months. We only got to thinking about renovations just a week ago. Today was the day the renovations were finally over in his room.

Except for the room decorations changing, there was another positive change. Elian was pulling back from his mafia duties. He let his dad know that he wanted to focus on the armament business only, and his dad agreed without questions. Elian wasn't completely detached yet, but he was doing his best.

Maybe the only reason Elian was doing that was for me. But I was happy. While I didn't care if he remained in the mafia, I would vastly prefer if he was not. The farther we stayed from danger, the better.

It was Christmas Eve tonight, so we were joining Elian's family's customary Christmas party. And for the first time, Elian was going to accompany me for my New Year's visit to my parents in Georgia. Though it was going to be admittedly a little awkward with my dad and Elian, Mom had assured me it was going to be fine.

"Hey, should I wear this?" I showed Elian a green sequin dress.

"No. You would look like a shining Christmas tree," he commented.

"Well, that's the point. It's the only time of the year I can wear this dress comfortably." I started to take off my top to wear the dress, but he stopped me.

"No, don't wear this. Look in the drawers for something else."

I arched an eyebrow in suspicion. "You're the one who says I look nice in every color."

"Yes, I do because it's true. But why don't you look around for something else to wear? Maybe you will find something nicer?" he suggested.

With my eyes narrowed on him, I put down the green dress and asked, "The party theme isn't green, is it? And you want to prank me to be the odd one out?"

"Hey, I'm wearing red, so even if the party theme is green, we would both be the odd couple out." He pointed at the gray turtleneck and red checkered coat he was holding.