Chapter 4: Goodbye, Ms. Fleur

Alena Fleur

I stayed up the whole night like an owl, over and over again replaying the scene of Elian shooting through that man's skull.

I doubt I could ever forget that traumatizing scenario. Elian's threat afterward was no balm to that, either. If I spilled a word of it to anyone, I was dead.

While I wasn't good at lying to my close people, I could keep a secret. But who knew how long I could keep when it was eating me alive?

I should have listened to Mom and gone back to Georgia. In that way, I wouldn't have had to see what I did last night. Maybe it wasn't too late to just leave the town and ghost Elian.

The sun was already shining through my window while I was busy thinking about the possible ways Elian could kill me if I slipped up.

Shit, now I had to get ready and go to the office and see Elian's face again. How was I going to face him after last night? How was I going to not freak out while sitting next to him in a meeting?

No, no, I can't deal with him today.

I hated to skip work, but this was my last resort.

Alena: Anya, I'm dying. I'm very sick. I can't even get up from my bed. Can you please be a darling and submit the weekly financial report to Mr. Storm on my behalf?

I sighed once the text was sent to my assistant. I was always a little dramatic when it came to taking leaves.

Now, I just hope Elian didn't nag me to come. Ugh, whatever, I didn't want to think about him.

I checked my other texts.

Abigail: Did you die on your way home? Why didn't you text me? Seriously, when will you stop forgetting?

I could have actually died, my friend. You have no idea.

Instead of texting that, I just gave her a silly sticker and checked the texts from my mom asking me about my health. I replied to her mom and decided to catch up on my sleep.

When I opened my eyes the next time, it was already late evening. Damn, that was a long sleep.

However, I felt infinitely better.

I came to the realization that it didn't have to be as complicated as I made it out to be. I just had to pretend like last night didn't happen and act completely professional with Elian. Yes, that's exactly what I would do.

I got up from the bed and freshened up. I was hungry, so I went to the kitchen, only to have the late realization that I was supposed to buy groceries on my way from work last night, and of course, I forgot.

Screw me.

I put on my crocs and went out in a pair of sweatpants and an oversized hoodie to buy the groceries.

I expected to have a nice homemade meal when I got home, not to see my boss standing at my front door.

Run, Alena, run! Run for your life! my subconscious yelled at me.

I was about to turn on my heels when Elian called out, "Stop right there, Ms. Fleur."

I halted and met his cold gaze. "What are you doing here, Sir?" I asked politely, addressing him as 'sir' for the first time. I was going to be professional, after all.

"What are you doing outside? Aren't you supposed to be so sick that you can't get up from bed?" he demanded, and I remained quiet. "What, the cat caught your tongue?"