XXX

4 years later

It was a hectic day for Ren, as it often was

She hasn't been at home for three days straight.

"Ma'am Hana, uuwi ka na po?!" Gulat na tanong ni Halsey, her secretary. She's leaving the office earlier than usual.

It's 7 PM and she usually leaves at 11 PM.

Ren simply nodded in response.

"Buti naman Ma'am! Akala ko dito ka na titira eh, baka magalit na yung nag hihintay sa'yo sa bahay mo hahaha..." Ngumiti nalang si Ren at hindi na sumagot, pagod na kasi talaga siya.

Ren has been working as an HR Manager in a recruitment process outsourcing firm run by her cousin. She's been working continuously, not for money, but to keep herself busy and moving since they say that's what adult life is.

When she reached the lounge, she saw Claire, one of her HR associates, running towards her.

"Ma'am Hana! We have a problem po," hinihingal na sabi niya. Alam na ni Ren na hindi siya makakauwi talaga ng maaga.

Claire just received a report that one of the sourcing team members had attacked a staff in a food bistro where they were having a team dinner. The bistro manager wants to speak with someone capable of handling the problem effectively.

"Nasaan yung team leader ng sourcing team?" Kalmadong tanong ni Ren.

"Naka leave po si Sir Belro Ma'am eh."

"Do you know the place? Can we go there now?" Ren is already numb to this kind of situation, she is somehow used to dealing with this kind of issue.

Walking distance lang yung food bistro sa office nila at habang naglalakad may tumawag kay Ren. Pumikit at hinilot niya yung ulo niya bago sagutin baka kasi panibagong problema nanaman.

She felt relieved when she saw the caller's name, "Yes Nanang Tes?" her landlord. 

"Iha magandang gabi, nakahanap na ako ng housemate mo. Lilipat siya ngayong linggo, pwede ba na ikaw ang umasikaso sa kanya pag dating niya? Ako'y nasa probinsya pa eh." 

"Talaga ho? Buti naman Nang, walang problema po. Sabihin niyo lang po sa akin kung kailan, I'll make time for it po." magalang na sagot ni Ren.

"Salamat iha ha? Mukang galing probinsya ang bata na yun... Oh sige na, mukang busy ka, ikaw nang bahala magsabi ng house rules ha? Bye 'nak ingat." binaba ni Nanang Tes yung tawag pagkatapos magpaalam ni Ren.

Dirediretsong naglalakad si Ren ng biglang hinila siya ni Claire sa braso, "Ma'am dito na po!" 

When they walked in, they could both sense the tension inside. Walang ibang tao sa loob kundi yung staff ng bistro at yung team members ng sourcing team. It seems that they already closed.

"Good evening I'm-" hindi na natapos sa pagsasalita si Ren nang nakita niya yung yung staff na sugatan yung braso. Ren looks calm outside, but deep inside she's mad.

Claire was also taken aback by what she saw, not only because of how severe the wound was but because she recognized the staff. Someone is already cleaning her wound but she needs to go to the hospital to get better treatment. 

"Bakit hindi niyo pa dinala sa hospital?!" Matigas na sabi ni Ren. Tumingin siya sa sourcing team, "Who hit her?" igting panga niyang tanong. 

"S.. si Jan po, nahampas niya po ng bote... eto Ma'am lasing na lasing na oh." Nakita ni Ren at Claire na tulog na siya sa upuan. Kaya pala may mga bubog din sa sahig.

"Good evening, you must be their manager?" Lumingon si Ren and she saw a lady who is probably in her mid-30s smiling at her. 

"Yes, I'm really sorry about this mess. I'm Hana, and you are?" Ren extends her arm for a handshake and the lady gladly accepts it. Ren cannot see any hint of anger on her face, she looks calm. "I'm Layla, the manager of this bistro. Let's talk in my office." Tumango si Ren.

"Before anything else, Layla, can someone bring her to the hospital first?" she's referring to the staff. 

Biglang kumilos yung sourcing team at lumapit dun sa staff, "I'm okay." she said coldly. Napairap si Ren. The girl stood up to leave them but Ren grabbed her arm, "You're not okay Miss." Sa payat at putla niya parang tutumba na siya anytime.

Claire was, again, shocked at what is happening right now. She noticed the girl was staring at her, and her heart skipped a beat. It seems that she's in pain but she's not trying to show it, Claire assumes. 

"Just let her do what she wants, medyo matigas talaga ulo ng batang yan." umiiling at natatawang sabi ni Layla. She's cool about it?! Sa isip isip ni Ren. 

Tinignan lang nilang umalis yung staff. Napansin ni Claire na nanginginig yung kamay niya and when she was about to follow the girl, Ren stopped her.

"Claire, please talk to the sourcing team. You know what to do right?" tumango nang wala sa sarili si Claire.

"Y.. yes Ma'am Hana but... are you sure we're not going to help her? G.. grabe po yung sugat niya eh?" Ren noticed that Claire is really concerned about the girl.

She just took a deep breath and nod at her, "If that's what she wants. Just let her."

-

Hindi nahirapan si Ren na kausapin si Layla, she was impressed by how calm and professional she is. Layla did not even think of pressing charges against their employee. She just wants the employee to receive proper disciplinary action. Hindi nanghihingi ng kahit anong monetary compensation si Layla pero nag offer nalang si Ren na sila yung sasagot sa magiging gastos until her staff gets better. 

"Thank you for today Claire, sabayan na kita pag uwi." alok ni Ren. She trained Claire and has known her since she was a student.

"Hindi na po Ma'am Hana, thank you po sa offer." she said but she's not looking at Ren. Sinundan ni Ren kung saan siya nakatingin, "Sige po Ma'am uwi na po ako! Bye! Ingat po." sabi ni Claire at nagmamadaling umalis.

Pinanuod ni Ren si Claire na tumatakbo papalapit dun sa staff na lumabas na ng food bistro. Her right arm is already covered with a bandage and she appears to be alright.

"You really care about her Claire?" Ren said in her mind. 

Ren just went on her way to the bus stop, but she doesn't know where to go.

It's 11 PM.

She just dialed Martha's number. Gusto niyang tawagan si Nita but she has been sensitive these days because of her dissertation.

"Yes Ren?!" It seems like she's at the bar. Ang ingay sa background.

"Can I sleep over at your place?"

"Sleep mo muka mo! Tutulala ka lang sa condo ko eh. Take some meds para makatulog ka ha?" She said.

Even though Ren feels exhausted, physically and mentally, it is still hard for her to get proper and enough sleep.

"Thank you." Ren is glad that Martha's condo is open to her anytime.

"By the way, you want me to pick you up?"

"No! I'm good. I'll just take a bus, salamat." Ren is renting a place near her office but she doesn't feel like staying there now. 

She can't even go somewhere far because she is temporarily not allowed to drive.