XXXIX

Ren is sitting in the living room with Lai and Martha. They're watching an animated movie but Ren is not paying attention to it. She's staring at the TV but she's spacing out.

"Auntie Ren, what do you call her?" Lai asked Ren while she was sitting on Martha's lap.

Tumingin si Ren sa kanya, "I don't have her number." Nagtatakang tumingin si Lai at Martha sa kanya, "Did you clearly understand what the kid said?" tanong ni Martha.

"She said why don't I call her?" Ren answered with confidence.

"I said, what do you call her!" Lai exclaimed then she pointed to the TV.

"Oh! okay. That's a seahorse baby." Ren immediately said. Lai just nods her head and continues what she was watching.

"Nag usap na ba kayo?" tanong ni Martha habang nakatingin sa TV.

"About what?"

Martha dramatically turn her head to face Ren, "So you did not let Ry explain herself yet?"

Tumango si Ren, "Nag usap kami, but not about the reason why she left. She's trying to.. you know, tell me." tumingin siya saglit kay Martha, "But I keep on dodging her."

Hindi na nagsalita si Martha at tumango lang. Napansin ni Ren na bumalik ulit siya sa panunuod.

"Martha, say something."

Lumingon siya kay Ren, "Ano ba gusto mo marinig?" tanong niya.

"I don't know, just.. say something. Ask. Basta." naguguluhang sagot ni Ren.

"What did you say to her?"

Yumuko si Ren, "You don't need to tell me everything, just a gist. Kung ayaw mo okay lang din."

"Sabi ko paano kung ayoko na."

Narinig ni Ren na huminga ng malalim si Martha. Lumingon sa kanya si Lai, "Auntie okay ka lang po?" tanong ng bata.

Ngumiti si Martha sa kanya, "Yes baby... okay lang ba na ikaw lang muna dito mag isa sa living room? Mag uusap lang kami ni Renren outside?" tanong niya at sumulyap siya kay Ren. Tumango si Lai.

Hinila ni Martha si Ren papuntang terrace.

"Ayaw mo na talaga?" Martha continued.

Hindi sumasagot si Ren.

"Ilang araw na hindi umuuwi si Riley?" tumingin si Ren sa kanya, "Three days." maikling sagot ni Ren.

"Alam mo kung nasaan siya at bakit siya umalis?" tumango si Ren.

"Yes, Riley reassures me that she will come back... that she will leave for a while to give me space." ngumiti si Martha.

"So ano nga, ayaw mo na?"

Again, Ren is not answering.

Martha is not used to this because Ren is good at labeling her emotions and knows how to evaluate her thoughts. That's why she was able to manage herself in her previous breakups. But now it's different, because Riley is different from all her exes.

"Alam mo, yes mali si Riley. Iniwan ka niya eh. Pero kailangan mo linawin sa sarili mo kung ayaw mo na talaga o hindi." Martha is trying her best not to impose an action on Ren. She was just stating what is obvious in Ren's situation.

"Both, gusto pa at ayoko na. But one thing is for sure, I'm scared. I'm scared that she will leave me again if I let her my life."