《 34. Numbers 》

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

Am I just a number? 'Cause it seems like that's your goal
You push us past our limits just to watch decimals grow

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

Uh oh.

Everyone in the room turned to look at Jack. The entire space fell completely silent, and over 200 eyes were on the male wolf. His bold remark spiked the tension in the lounge.

Deuce instantly recognized him. "J-Jack?! What are you doing here?" He questioned.

Azul eyed Jack curiously. He figured this was just another disgruntled student's outburst. "Oh, are you...? No, I don't see an anemone on your head." He stood corrected. Why was he at the lounge?

Nevertheless, this random bystander was the least of his concerns at the moment. "I'm afraid we're having a staff meeting right now. If you don't have a stake in this matter, I must ask your leave for us to sort this out internally." Azul dismissed him with a wave of his hand.

Jack growled. This guy was getting on his last nerve. "You think I don't have a stake in this? I was planning on studying on my own and out scoring these guys in a fair competition."

"And now you've ruined that. I think I DO have a stake in here!" He raised his voice.

So this was his reason for coming along. You observed.

Honestly, Jack had a point. What was with these dorm leaders ruining these tests of strength and knowledge for petty self gain?

Your own potential spot on the board listings was sabotaged by this stupid charade of a charity.

"He's not wrong." You daringly spoke up. Coming forward, you joined Jack's side. The attention of the students was on you now. "Whether or not your contacts are valid, you've taken advantage of weak minded individuals to gain power. That's pathetic."

While directed at him, you knew of the bleeding hypocrisy laced in that statement of yours.

In spite of that, people didn't deserve to get tricked like this, regardless of who they are. They might've had a lapse in judgment to cheat, but that didn't mean they had to be punished by being stripped of their identity and enslaved.

Not to mention what this meant for the school. Now that it's clear there was cheating involved, what would the headmaster and teachers do? Try to redo all of the tests? What if Azul tried to do this again with more students? Although you lacked knowledge on the interworking's of schools and teachers, you had no doubts this would cause problems for NRC.

A smirk tugged at the corner of your lips. "Good thing you have plenty of helpers around now, right? You'll have lots of time to manage your business when you and everyone else are punished... due to your meddling with the school, of course."

There were a couple laughs and gasps from the audience. None of them had suspected you to show up here. You didn't have an anemone either, so you were here to put a stop to this, right?

"(Y/N)! Jack?! Are you here to save us?" Grim lit up with relief. The other students were wondering the same thing.

Jack didn't answer that. He crossed his arms, eyeing the anemone-headed students with abhorrence. Every last one of them looked pathetic to him. "Don't get me wrong. I'm disgusted with every last one of you."

"Why would I side with the slimeball offering shady backroom deals OR the guys who chose to let others do their work for them?" Whether intentional or not, Jack was insulting everyone with his blunt response.