《 51. idontwannabeyouanymore 》

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

If "I love you" was a promise,
Would you break it, if you're honest?

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

When you opened your eyes, you were met with a dark palette of black and white. You turned your head, spotting that all too familiar white backdrop.

You were here again, but this time, it was for someone different.

A voice rang inside your head. Azul's. 'The only place I really fit was inside my octopus pot.' He was standing adjacent to you. His gaze was fixed forward.

Suddenly, the area around you began to manifest itself. Working from the ground up, a setting quickly built itself up.

Looking around, you took in your surroundings. The nautical themed architecture was reminiscent of the one you saw in the Coral Sea. Though the setting was unique, you could tell that this black and white place was a classroom.

"Wow, look! It's Azululu, the ink barffer!" You turned your head, and suddenly there were two merchildren. They were huddled around a child, that you observed had tentacles instead of a tail.

It was Azul...? But he looked different. He was noticeably chubbier than them. So that's what he used to look like in his octopus form.

"Hurry, get away. He's got all those creepy legs!" The other kid grimaced in disgust.

Upon hearing that, your gaze widened.

"P-Please stop..." The young octopus pleaded, tears welling up in his eyes. He couldn't understand. Why did they treat him this way? "Why are you saying stuff like that...?"

"Swim away! He's gonna blast ya with ink~~~!" The first merchild laughed mockingly.

"Gyahahaha! He's won't be able to catch up to us!"

Growling under your breath, it was on instinct that you stepped towards them with clenched fists. But the sad realization hit you, and you stopped yourself. This was all just a flashback. Like a ghost, they didn't notice you. Not paying you any mind, they swam away.

Once they were gone, your ears caught the sound of quiet sobs. You looked back, and saw the young Azul trembling, crying to himself. It broke your heart.

'Unlike other merfolk, I had legs covered in suction cups.' Azul began again.

'I was an introverted child who could never speak their mind.'

'No good at school or sports...'

'I was... always alone.'

Solemnly, Azul's apparition lowered his gaze, and he closed his eyes. 'A trashy and idiotic octopus.'

Your eyes softened. Before you could think about it, you were back in the elementary classroom. The merchildren were busily conversing with each other, while the little octopus sat across the room by his lonesome.

It was then that the students were sneaking glares in his direction. "The water gets so dirty when he's here! He releases ink when he cries, y'know?"

"He's always the first to get caught when we play tag. Playing with him is just boring."

Standing a few feet away, both you and Azul idly watched the gossiping children. A troubled look was written on your face, while his was blank.

'Ah, is that so?' Azul hummed. A gaze of animosity hardened on his visage. He was practically seething. 'Then, you should leave me alone and just go back to playing your mindless games!'