《 56. Take Me Home 》

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

And they know I've got some growing, I realized the other day
When I said some things that I knew that I shouldn't say

━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━

"Hey hey! No standing in the middle of the road, move move!"

Through the clamor and hustle, there was a single boy carefully maneuvering through the crowd to get to the mirror. From out from the sea of people came Ruggie Bucchi. What you and the others instantly took notice of was the overwhelming amount of luggage he had with him.

As you stared, your head tilted in mild confusion. What... is that for?

"Bucchi... why do you have so much stuff!?" Deuce was the first to approach him and comment on it. What's with all the bags? Is he leaving for good? "A backpack, three duffel bags, and a giant cooler.." He added as his eyes glossed over the luggage. He was surprised Ruggie could carry all of that with him.

Ruggie followed the freshman's gaze to the surplus of carry-ons. He snickered upon realizing. "Oh, this? Shishishi. I took all the food that was about to hit its sell-by date at the cafeteria and the school store. Since we're about to go on break, they gave 'em to me basically for free."

That was a lot of food for one person. Probably enough to last for months. Ace spotted one of the open bags. From the stacked pile, he pulled out a container of berries. The label read that it was about to expire in the next 24 hours. "What? There's no way you can go through all that." Ace spoke up next with a look of concern. Personally, he'd be afraid of accidentally eating one with a hint of mold on it.

Effortlessly, Ruggie swiped the container away from him in one motion. Despite the red-head's absurd claim, the hyena's lazy grin was persistent on his face. "What're you talking about? Something like this'll be gone in an instant once I hand them to the neighborhood brats."

While he closed up his bags, you held your chin. Ruggie's explanation had you mulling over it for a moment. It was then that you understood his intentions. The food wasn't for him, but for kids he knew back home. The realization made your heart flutter in your chest.

He wasn't letting precious food go to waste, and he was giving it to others for selfless reasons. The sentiment was sweet to you.

"That's... a great idea. Don't let that food go to waste!" You exclaimed with a cheerful grin. He was doing God's work basically. Maybe you should try doing something charitable like that, too...

Your unexpected praise made Ruggie smile. At least someone here gets it! "Of course! I have to make sure that Granny eats well during the holidays, y'know?" He added as he ducked down and checked the cooler. His face fell slightly. "Whoa, the frozen goods are melting."

It was high time he got out of here. "Alright, see ya next year!" The hyena saluted your group before leaving for the mirror.

Deuce faintly tapped his chin. "There he goes... What did he mean by 'neighborhood brats' though...?"

Ruggie's character gave you a spark of familiarity. It reminded you of...

Heavy footsteps echoed in your ear, and you felt another presence. You turned your head, and spotted Jack to your left. "There are many families stuck in poverty in Ruggie's hometown." He entered the conversation, and his appearance brought a smile to your face. It was a little strange that he had a bunch of potted plants with him, but there was most likely a reason.

Everyone turned to Jack, and he continued his explanation. "So during these long holidays, he brings back as much food as he can so the neighborhood kids can eat."