The First Letter

I start to have that same nightmare again and I hate it so much. I scream for Mom but she was like some monster and it was never getting any better. Even with the therapy sessions for years, nothing worked to make them go away. I kicked and screamed for Mom to stay away from me but she grabbed me and pinned me.

"SYLVIA," A voice shouts and I open my eyes to see Damien. "What's the matter, why are you screaming?"

I just couldn't say anything as I just looked around the room scared she was gonna appear out of nowhere. Damien grabs my face making me look at him, I still couldn't speak at all. I just grab him and pull him in for a hug as I start to ball my eyes out. I feel him wrap his arms around me and hug me back. I heard him whisper into my ear and his hug felt so good like a big brotherly hug.

"You'll be ok Sylvia, you have me here to protect you."

"Thank you, Damien, is it ok if I see you like a big brother to me since you're only 3 years older?"

"Sure, I always wanted a little sister but never had one. I only had a pain in the but brother," He chuckles.

"Oh, you have a brother?"

"He passed away a few years ago so I don't talk about him much."

"I'm so sorry," I felt bad bringing it up now.

"It's alright we can grieve the deaths of our loved ones together. You get a brother and I get a cool sister out of it, I'll be the best big brother you ever had."

"And I'll be a pain in the ass sister you never had," I laughed which made him laugh.

Having Damien by my side is the best thing to happen, if I lose my job I hope he'll still be by my side. Over the next few weeks, we just bonded as real brothers and sisters do. It was nice having someone like a family again. I do wish he didn't run into my room every time I screamed. Saw a spider and I was changing so he ran in and saw me naked, not the best thing.

Whenever Damien and I would leave the apartment I would just look at the other door wondering if I'd meet the landlord. I really wanna thank him for letting me live here. After a month I just wrote a letter thanking him and just left it next to the door.

Hello, I know you don't know me well, but I'm the bartender girl Marvin told you about, your neighbour across the hall. Sorry, we disturbed you while at work with that phone call. I just wanted to say thank you so much for letting me live here, it's a beautiful building you own. This is getting long now haha, hope you have a great day or night, maybe we can meet in person someday when you're not busy.

Sincerely your neighbour from across the hall S.W

I licked the envelope closed and got some tape. I went to his door and taped it to the door so he's seen it. Whenever we would leave for work I checked to see if it was there or gone. It was there for weeks and after like 2 months it was gone when I came back from work. I smiled and hoped it was him and not someone else that took it. I make it to my door seeing a letter taped to the door. I take it off and open it to read what it said, all it said was.

You're welcome

from yours truly R.S.

I was happy he was the one that got the letter and not someone else. Sometimes I'd write him letters and leave them on his door just to talk. I didn't want to get his number and disturb him during work hours. He didn't seem to mind the letters all that much either. He had nice handwriting and seemed really sweet.

Damien caught me writing some letters to R.S. and I didn't want him to see them. He'd start teasing me about having a crush on the guy, which was a little true. Could you fall for someone even if you have never seen their face before? From his letters, he seemed like a very nice guy and sweet.

"Admit it, you have a crush on him, Sylvia," Damien asked in a teasing voice.

"No, I do not," He gives me a face that he doesn't believe me. "Go away, it's just friendly conversations and nothing more."

He just smirks and leaves for his room as I glare at him so that he can read me like a damn book now. I bet R.S. already has a girlfriend, fiance or even a wife. I really hope if he does that she doesn't take my letters to him the wrong way.