𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗.

Dominic

Dominic

" I think that you are going to like it," she beams excitedly from the seat next to me. " And it has steak. Your favorite thing to eat."

I had half the mind to snort.  She should know that steak is my second favorite thing to eat.

Instead, I grabbed her hand and squeezed it as she continued to talk excitedly about the plans she had made for this weekend. " Ice," I chuckled. " Breathe baby. You haven't stopped to take a breath since we got into the car."

Rhegan smiles. " I am just so excited. Birthday planning is an important part of my duty as your girlfriend. I have to make sure that each birthday tops the next, somehow, someway."

Leaning over, I pressed a kiss to her cheek. " This year has already been placed at the number one seed now that I have you by my side."

And I meant it.

Growing up, birthdays were simply another day to me. I was never in the celebratory mood when my birth parents would rather have found their next score or ignored my existence as a whole. My grandmother tried to make my birthday special, scraping what she could to buy me a cake or a present. I was just grateful for her love and affection.

When my adoption rolled around, my parents went all out for my first birthday with them. I had received more presents than I could count. I ate candy until I gave myself a stomach ache. But more importantly, watching the smile on Jax's face when I told them that I loved them
for the first time was what took the cake.

Ever since then birthdays were more than just another day. I finally had a reason to celebrate being alive.

Rhegan's cheeks flush. " It's a good thing that I plan on being by your side for a very, very long time, Dominic Steele," she flashes me a smile before puckering up her lips.

Gripping her chin softly, I pressed my lips against hers repeatedly. " Mm. Mm. MM!" I hummed with each peck, even when her lips began to spread from smiling.

" You are going to smudge my lipstick!" Rhegan manages to get out through her fits of laughter.

I frowned. " My bad."

And then my lips curled up at the corners.

" Dominic. No."

" Rhegan. Yes." I dove in for an open-mouth kiss this time.

Rhegan melted into my body and threw her arms around my neck despite her objections. My hand travels up her jawline to her neck. I gripped her neck softly to deepen the kiss. Smudge lipstick was the last thing on her mind when my tongue swept inside of her mouth. 

The car came to an abrupt stop, halting our kiss. I release myself from Rhegan's lips and sigh. I smiled seeing her red lipstick smudged around the rim and corners of her mouth. " Smudged lipstick looks good on you," I teased despite her scowl forming.